Thread: Mirage G4 GLX 2016. Won't start & can't take key off

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Mirage G4 GLX 2016. Won't start & can't take key off

Hi Guys,

i am new here so i hope someone can help me with any of my concerns in the future.

This will be my very first issue.

Often times, especially early in the morning that im rushing to go to my workplace, my car is having an issue. Bought this car just 2 months ago and it keeps giving me headaches especially during rush hours. Got my key in but it won't let me start the car. Then i was trying to remove the key so i could check it but the key is locked and cannot be removed. Gear is on Park Mode, gas cap is tightly closed and i don't have any error indication from my dash.

What issue do you think im having here? Any help please? Your help is much appreciated!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Welcome to the forum. Since your Mirage is a 2016 and you just bought it two months ago was it new? If so you have a warranty so a trip to the dealer would be advised so the problem can be diagnosed. If your key is a copy it is possible that it has some imperfections that are causing issues. Otherwise this would be warranty issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Those are good points, inuvik. Sometimes duplicate keys cause funny operation. As someone else pointed out here on the forum, problems with the immobilizer are indicated with a light on the dash, so that would be easy to detect.

I've had problems starting with bad brake lights - but that was getting out of park, not necessarily engine running problems. Not getting the key out, and *perhaps* engine running problems remind me of problems with the gearshift selector - either being out of position, or the sensor switch for Park and Neutral having problems.

Just thinking out loud.

Hello taro277 and welcome to the forum. We haven't had many reports of problems like what you are describing. Please do let us know what comes of this, and we hope you get this resolved soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The shifter assembly has a 'lock-out' underneath that is linked to the brake pedal as a safety measure, sometimes the linkages get worn and move around a bit or maybe something came loose.
    Last edited by Johnny Mullet; 01-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The manual describes a shift lock mechanism (solenoid) and a key lock relay.

Quote Originally Posted by taro227 View Post
    Got my key in but it won't let me start the car. Then i was trying to remove the key so i could check it but the key is locked and cannot be removed. Gear is on Park Mode, gas cap is tightly closed and i don't have any error indication from my dash.
    From what I understand, the shift lock solenoid operates in such a way as to keep the transmission from being shifted out of Park unless the car is in the On mode (not Off or Accessory) and the operator is pressing down on the brake pedal.

I'm not yet sure how the key lock relay works, but I'll try to learn more about it.

I wonder if this is a timing problem? I'm not certain, but I understand in order to start the engine the immobilizer needs time to read the transponder key code correctly as well as the driver has to press and hold the brake pedal before it will allow the engine start command to proceed. In addition, I can see the gear selector lever being moved (or jammed) partially out of position in such a way as to prevent the key from being removed from the ignition.

I know I get in a hurry to make it into work on time. I should just give myself more time and leave earlier for work lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for your comment and suggestion. i got the issue resolved myself and i guess it's a security feature of the car just like with motorcycles, the steering wheel will lock up if not in use or positioned in a different way. What i did was i tried moving the steering wheel until i heard a clicking sound and it locked out the keywhole. There is nothing in the manual though saying about this and after a few attempts i figured it out myself. i will still have to visit Mitsubishi about this to check from them if my conclusion is right. i will let you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to taro227 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's interesting as mine has no steering wheel lock.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It's confirmed. It is a steering lock feature of Mirage G4 GLX 2016 Upgrade. I spoke with the Mitsubishi service team yesterday and they've confirmed that it is a security feature.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to taro227 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-07-2017)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The manual describes a shift lock mechanism (solenoid) and a key lock relay.

From what I understand, the shift lock solenoid operates in such a way as to keep the transmission from being shifted out of Park unless the car is in the On mode (not Off or Accessory) and the operator is pressing down on the brake pedal.

I'm not yet sure how the key lock relay works, but I'll try to learn more about it.

I wonder if this is a timing problem? I'm not certain, but I understand in order to start the engine the immobilizer needs time to read the transponder key code correctly as well as the driver has to press and hold the brake pedal before it will allow the engine start command to proceed. In addition, I can see the gear selector lever being moved (or jammed) partially out of position in such a way as to prevent the key from being removed from the ignition.

I know I get in a hurry to make it into work on time. I should just give myself more time and leave earlier for work lol.

It's confirmed. It is a steering lock feature of Mirage G4 GLX 2016 Upgrade. I spoke with the Mitsubishi service team yesterday and they've confirmed that it is a security feature.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to taro227 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-07-2017)