Thread: Lack of shorter damper replacement?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lack of shorter damper replacement?

So I finally bit the bullet and got an account on AliExpress and ordered the funky rear reflector lights https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Reflector-LED, but that's not why I'm starting a thread.

While I was there, I saw this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...35792e0e14Edmx.

I've got Eibach lowering springs, and there are a few highway bumps that make me "bottom out" the front end. Does this look like a reasonable fix for that problem? I don't want to raise the front, though, just stiffen it...or have a softer "bumpstop" than bottoming out the damper (shock absorber).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Search for coil spring helper or coil spring spacer. Installing those will stiffen your springs but they will most likely increase your ride height at the same time. Usually they are solid like these. The ones you linked won't provide as much stiffening or lift because of the holes in them...but that might work for you. They're easy to install...so you could always try them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (07-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Just make sure to measure the gap between the coils and order the appropriate set. I tried a set of spring spacers early on and they were much too short - the spacers would fall out.

Soft & squishy spacers might not be a bad thing, may have to double up. See what works for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (07-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I've got Eibach lowering springs, and there are a few highway bumps that make me "bottom out" the front end. Does this look like a reasonable fix for that problem? I don't want to raise the front, though, just stiffen it...or have a softer "bumpstop" than bottoming out the damper (shock absorber).
    Do these cars have bumpstops in the struts? I really haven't looked that close at them but know most other cars do. I bought a low mileage side by side 10 years ago, took it out and kept bottoming out the front shocks like you. Found the bumpstops in the shocks where pounded out. I went to the junkyard, found some on the front of a newer 3/4 ton gmc truck, drilled a hole through the center and installed them where the old ones were. It decreased the amount of shock travel a bit but never bottomed out hard ever again. They're still holding up.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    wishdotcom does have them https://www.wish.com/search/carshock...on=7&share=web and looks like it might be cheaper with shipping through them. They do have different heights if you want to try again, Eggman. They actually show them being held in with zip-ties

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got these https://dl.wish.com/fSfRqName:  718266F4-34C0-4957-A3BA-79A0FF7A5C64.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  92.3 KBand squeezed them in and ziptied(?!) them 2 per piece. I measured before and after and it looks like it raised about a half inch, but I haven’t driven it yet. I feel like I should add more zipties...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

Loren (08-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put a pair of those one the rear springs of my Mom's Mirage before I drove it cross-country for my son. Subtle change in ride quality, but it does reduce the big rear body roll a bit.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I drove it cross-country
    So did you use zip ties and did you have any issues with them falling out?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, zip ties just in case. They made it from FL to KS without issue. I haven't heard anything after that.

Simplify and add lightness.