Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done a rear disc brake upgrade?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you go to rear dics you'd need a new proportioning valve which sends more or less pressure to the front or back. I believe disk brakes require much higher pressures to get the same braking force as drum brakes at lower pressures.

For as often as one needs to change brake does out (probably 1-2x in the life of the car), its not even close to worth swapping out. If you want improved braking performance, the 2017 model upgraded to larger brakes up front where it counts.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Avgjohndoe (07-14-2020),Eggman (01-24-2017)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    If you go to rear dics you'd need a new proportioning valve which sends more or less pressure to the front or back. I believe disk brakes require much higher pressures to get the same braking force as drum brakes at lower pressures.

For as often as one needs to change brake does out (probably 1-2x in the life of the car), its not even close to worth swapping out. If you want improved braking performance, the 2017 model upgraded to larger brakes up front where it counts.
    what about the abs model?its already equipped with hydraulic unit is it no enough to regulate the pressure?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    what about the abs model?its already equipped with hydraulic unit is it no enough to regulate the pressure?
    You would be hard pressed to find any model of any brand that doesn't have abs. ABS was already quite common before it became a mandate.

"ABS is required on all new passenger cars sold in the EU since 2004. In the United States, the NHTSA has mandated ABS in conjunction with Electronic Stability Control under the provisions of FMVSS 126 as of September 1, 2013."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You would be hard pressed to find any model of any brand that doesn't have abs. ABS was already quite common before it became a mandate.

"ABS is required on all new passenger cars sold in the EU since 2004. In the United States, the NHTSA has mandated ABS in conjunction with Electronic Stability Control under the provisions of FMVSS 126 as of September 1, 2013."
    I've seen pics of Mirages from other markets that have a prop valve where the abs assembly is on our cars.
    Attachment 20620

https://www.clasificadospl.com/vehic...e-g4-2015/8403
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-20-2021 at 04:50 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've seen pics of Mirages from other markets that have a prop valve where the abs assembly is on our cars.
    I have no doubt about that. I was just clarifying that's not the case here. For the few times one may have to deal with drum brakes, I would just live with them.

What I really don't like is the new trend of electric parking brakes. Parking brakes are also emergency brakes & a manual control allows you to control your stop better. I had brakes go out once, & I safely got the car back to shop with the emergency brakes. I might add it was driver's education car (2003 Malibu). Glad we were doing parking lot work when they (master cylinder) went out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have no doubt about that. I was just clarifying that's not the case here. For the few times one may have to deal with drum brakes, I would just live with them.

What I really don't like is the new trend of electric parking brakes. Parking brakes are also emergency brakes & a manual control allows you to control your stop better. I had brakes go out once, & I safely got the car back to shop with the emergency brakes. I might add it was driver's education car (2003 Malibu). Glad we were doing parking lot work when they (master cylinder) went out.
    I agree, the effort in a swap isn't worth the return. I wouldn't even bother upgrading the drums on a 14-15 to the larger 17 style. Just a waste of time and money imo.

And I'm not a fan of electric park/emergency brakes either for that same reason. Plus it's just another thing to go wrong. Same with electric shifters but with everything heading to hybrid and/or electric there's no avoiding that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    After working on my 2007 Honda Fit's rear drum brake, I don't want to work on another set of drum ever again...
    Could the problem be, you just hate drum brakes? They are so easy to mantain if you know what you are doing and have a little experience!
    The drums on mine have about 70% lining left at around 60 000 miles. If it had rear disc brakes, the rotors would have rusted away ages ago because of being unused. I'm happy it has rear drums!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    im talking about the proportioning valve issue when changing the rear drum to disc not about on the mandate in your country about the ABS just stick with the topic, there is a certain LANCER model equipped with rear drum brake and you can just swapped it with disc brake because it also have a rear disc model, it's just straight forward plug and play the hydraulic module just adopt the rear disc brake without any issues and its a heavier car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quick questions and answers regaring this thread:

Q: Is disc brakes on the rear of a Mirage possible?
    A: Yes.

Q: Has anyone ever put disc brakes on the rear of a Mirage?
    A: Yes. It was done using custom-fabricated brackets by a auto shop in one of the Southeast Asian markets this car targets. It's actually fairly easy to do.

Q: Is the information available here?
    A: No.

Q: Why not?
    A: People in that part of the world do not have English as their first language, nor do they even use a variant of the Roman alphabet, so they very rarely find or frequent English-speaking forums like this one.

Q: Would the disc brakes on the rear of the car improve performance?
    A: On an proportioning valve car, maybe. If the valve was switched out to an appropriate one, and you had super sticky tires, and had also been autocrossing the car for the past 30 minutes s.t. the stock brakes would be overheating. On an ABS car, no, it would make performance worse, no matter what.

Q: Would the swap be worth it for anything other than looks?
    A: No.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Mark (02-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    im talking about the proportioning valve issue when changing the rear drum to disc not about on the mandate in your country about the ABS just stick with the topic, there is a certain LANCER model equipped with rear drum brake and you can just swapped it with disc brake because it also have a rear disc model, it's just straight forward plug and play the hydraulic module just adopt the rear disc brake without any issues and its a heavier car.
    You made it sound like there are ABS models and models without ABS. I was just stating all Mirages in the US would have ABS & why. If that qualifies as being off topic, so be it!

Unlike the Lancer, I am not aware of any Mirages having rear disc brakes. Can't say I've check every country or Mitsubishi car market, however.

I hope someone answers your question soon! Good luck!