Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 mirage tracking/wandering in rain

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2020 mirage tracking/wandering in rain

What is everyones experience with driving in heavy rain? Brand new mirage kept wandering a few feet to the left or right at hwy speed. Was almost unpredictable but came at least once a minute. No tracking or steering issues on dry pavement.

How likely is this to be the factory tires vs a rear alignment issue? Is it worth trying different tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My OEM Enasaves were scary in the rain. When I switched to the Federals never an issue. They are great wet weather tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    These cars are no different than others. You need good tyres with lots of tread remaining. Aquaplaning effects winter tyres more than summer tyres. If the car wanders off, you are too fast and risking too much.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    These cars are no different than others. You need good tyres with lots of tread remaining. Aquaplaning effects winter tyres more than summer tyres. If the car wanders off, you are too fast and risking too much.
    I get your point, but this is a brand new car with brand new tires. So tread should not be an issue.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My OEM Enasaves were scary in the rain. When I switched to the Federals never an issue. They are great wet weather tires.
    Good to know, so what I've described above (pulling/wandering at speed) is something you experienced with the Enasaves?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Any car will have a tendency to get pushed around under those conditions (heavy rain, freeway speeds) IF the road surface is worn from heavy traffic use and water is settling in those areas. See this link for more info.

Even if your car drives OK on dry pavement, it wouldn't hurt to get a 4-wheel alignment check if your car has never had one. These cars aren't dialed in very well at the factory when it comes to the alignment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Wait til you get a strong crosswind on the highway.

Might want to pickup a spare keyboard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Might want to pickup a spare keyboard.
    Lol Is this a dig at my grammar or something

Quote Originally Posted by vancouvermirage View Post
    Lol Is this a dig at my grammar or something
    NO! I probably have some of the worstest grammars on these forum.

I meant you might be pretty choked after driving in a heavy windstorm and break a few keys while angry typing about the experience.

I took mine on a short trip across the city on the ring 60mph ring road here last summer on a pretty windy day with my dad and my kids. It was hilarious how it blew from line to line, I looked like I was drunk struggling to keep it in one lane lol. It took some getting used to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've actually had pretty good experience in the rain with my Mirage - i.e., I'm not dead. Cut through standing water on the road pretty consistently while I was tailing a BMW pace car back home at 85-95mph for about half an hour in heavy rain.

That being said, I swapped my wheels/tires out with ones that are slightly wider than factory. It's all in the info in my garage. They went well in the snow we had here recently, as well, so I can heartily recommend them!

Compared to a 2007 Monte Carlo SS I had before this, I think the Mirage actually perform better in the rain. Skinnier tires = less water it has to push out of the way? Not sure, and it may just be me imagining things, but I feel like I used to hydroplane much more in the Monte Carlo and its much wider tires. It also had much more power, though, and I drove like a maniac, so that probably had something to do with it as well. Younger years!

And w.r.t. getting blown around on the freeway, after putting the sway bar and a tow hitch (extra body rigidity?) on my car, I've found that it mostly drives like, well, a car now. Was legitimately scary to drive before that with all the body roll. Strong winds shouldn't bully a vehicle that much!