Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a "cheap used Mirage" -- fixing up a damaged 2014 ES

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice grab though..
    So what does it mean for you regarding licensing, insurance and the like having a salvage title over a clear title?
    Do you need state recert to license, does it require extra expense or is it simply a "blemish" that follows the car if you choose to resell it?

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Nice grab though..
    So what does it mean for you regarding licensing, insurance and the like having a salvage title over a clear title?
    Do you need state recert to license, does it require extra expense or is it simply a "blemish" that follows the car if you choose to resell it?
    Here in my state....Washington....you would have to have the car inspected by the State Patrol in order to get it re-titled and re-licensed. Once that is done, it shouldn't be a problem to insure it.

The car will always have a 'salvage title' since it was probably reported as a total loss to the state by an insurance company.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Here in my state....Washington....you would have to have the car inspected by the State Patrol in order to get it re-titled and re-licensed. Once that is done, it shouldn't be a problem to insure it.

The car will always have a 'salvage title' since it was probably reported as a total loss to the state by an insurance company.
    Basically the same as Cobrajet stated. We have to save all the parts receipts, to prove it wasn't repaired with any stolen parts, fill out a form, hand over an "inspection" fee, plus pay all the usual title fees. Virginia will then put a big zit on the title, stating that it's salvage "rebuilt" (major repair) or "repaired" (minor damage). I'm expecting this one to be labeled as "repaired". I have State Farm for insurance, and they said no problem. The agent just needs some pictures of the repaired car, for the company's files.
    In Virginia, unless you have a special license, and a repair facility, you cannot buy a salvage labeled vehicle from an insurance auction. It's no problem purchasing it from a salvage dealer tho, even if no repairs were done, and only paperwork changed hands.
    Last edited by Car Nut; 01-27-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's cool I guess considering the substantial savings on the purchase.
    Here in ON Canada we have to put any used vehicle even in perfect running condition through "safety certification" when bought or sold privately. This can be done by seller then sold as "safetied" or sold "as is" and safetied by buyer. Then we take our bill of sale to DMV with proof of insurance, pay 13% sales tax on "book value", register, pay some more fees and we're on our way.
    I don't have any idea the hoops we'd have to jump through for salvaged or written off vehicles.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Ichabod: I have looked into it for Ontario.

Before you can put plates back on a branded "rebuilt" vehicle (if it's coming from out of province), it has to go through a more stringent structural inspection, different from the standard safety certificate inspection. (Not sure what the deal is if the car was branded & repaired in-province.) There is no shop in my city even qualified to do that structural inspection.

Another layer of expense, hassle & bureaucracy - so I dropped the idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe Mitsubishi (Or any other manufacturer) will no longer cover this vehicle under any sort of warranty if it has a branded title of any sort. That's what steered me away from a newer salvage title vehicle.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks Metro.. Ontario is not at all easy to work with when talking cars.
    Jibles.. There are options for aftermarket warranties but I've never been impressed by them.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    I believe Mitsubishi (Or any other manufacturer) will no longer cover this vehicle under any sort of warranty if it has a branded title of any sort. That's what steered me away from a newer salvage title vehicle.
    That is correct. Not too concerned about that though. When you can buy an engine, and transmission together as a unit for a $1,000 or less, that tends to lower the stress level.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New pics on post #1. Just need to get the title work finished, 2 new tires for the front, and inspection.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-02-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    New pics on post #1. Just need to get the title work finished, 2 new tires for the front, and inspection.
    Looks great!!!!

(blank signature)