Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bought a "cheap used Mirage" -- fixing up a damaged 2014 ES

Good to see an update - I was just wondering how it was going.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Looks good.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well..... I'm finally on the road! Took forever, but I'm legal now. When I sent all my paperwork to DMV, they rejected it, saying that the seller in Pennsylvania couldn't legally sell me the car with the salvage title not being in his name. I finally got a hold of the seller, who said DMV was crazy, and that he does it all the time. I sent an email to Pennsylvania DMV, asking if it was legal, and they said no. I then contacted the seller again, and he said that both places didn't know what they were talking about. He then recommended contacting a Pennsylvania contractor that does a lot of title work and such for the state. When I asked them, they said it was legal. I then asked if they could forward me a copy of the law stating as such. "Sure, no problem, it's right here. Uhm, maybe it's here, no maybe here, well I know it's here somewhere. Let me get back to you." Anyways, she contacted some supervisor at the DMV headquarters, who got somebody else to type me up a letter stating that it was ok. I resent all my returned paperwork, plus the letter to the gubermint authorities, for their review and rubber stamp. I was then contacted by the state police, so they could come out and look at the car, then give the ok to forward a title to me.
    I will never buy another salvage title vehicle from out of state again. Too much trouble. I have now been driving the car for 2 weeks. My first day driving to work, I got 51 mpg, as shown on the dash. I filled the tank up yesterday, as the fuel gauge was pissed off and flashing at me. I got 46.75 mpg for the first tank, running 89 octane, non ethanol fuel, and the ac going for several days. And that is with the CVT trans.Needless to say, I'm pretty happy so far. My 99 Metro, has been getting 51, not running the ac, so I think 46.75 is great, especially when I have ac, cruise, cvt trans, yada, yada.
    Last edited by Car Nut; 05-31-2017 at 08:41 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-27-2017),Eggman (05-27-2017),inuvik (05-27-2017),MetroMPG (05-27-2017)

Congrats on getting the bureaucracy in line, Car Nut!

Glad to hear you're finally getting to enjoy the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Congratulations on your Mirage salvage success! Hopefully others can learn from your experience.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out! I was worried that maybe you had pushed the car off of a cliff in frustration. Freakin' government...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great to hear! Congrats on getting your car on the road.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)