Thread: Beater :: 2017 Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 Intense (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Beater
    Mitsubishi
    Space Star 1.2 Intense
    Black
    Manual

Great deal here in Portugal. Got the car as, a "to be" test drive car. The car was registered in 27 Dec 16 and was given to me at 1 Feb 17 with just 68 kms. Paid 12k € for the model available in portugal, the Intense, plus navigation ("offered").

Details

- Keyless entry
    - Start & stop
    - Fog lights
    - Hill Assist

- Space Star floor mats
    - Vanity mirror passenger and driver
    - Eco Leaves
    - Compartment over glove box
    - Cruise Control
    - Trunk light

- MGN system
    - GPS

•  

- 15" alloy wheels

Comments: 8 / Views: 8862
    Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    First impression after the ride home, and the ride to work today. First thing i was very impressed with, was the touchscreen and MGN system. It is so good, believe me i tested a friends 2015 Polo and the touch/navigation sucked so hard that i had little to none expectations to this one that came with the Space Star. The sound system is very good too, good bass and volume, i'm very pleased.
    The other thing i noticed right away, was the confy ride. When i rode to work today, i knew there were some bumps that, on the mx-5, made the car shake like crazy, looking like everything was falling apart! On the Mirage? well, i almost not felt them! Of course this suspension setup, being so soft, brings other kind of problems. If the road has bumps, not potholes but little waves, the car feels very wobbly. But in the end, it's a trade-off i can live with.

I know that this car is a cheap ecobox but imo it looks very nice. Love those 15" rims, and the black + chrome bits give it a more up market look that i actually like. I was impressed that they gave me the Space Star floor mats, was not expecting that, neither the passenger side vanity mirror, excellent plus

On the negative side, when i left the dealer i noticed right away that the car already had a tone of swirl marks! Man it is a new car! And not only that, but the guys who were "cleanning" my baby, left a freaking black hand mark on the seat belt adjuster plastic... They sell high end mercedes and bmw, what type of service are they offering to those kind of people? leaving oil marks all over the car?

Got the car with a different type of deal. The salesman told me that it could register a black one with navigation system, for 12k, but the car needed to remain under testdrive until the end of January. He told that the car should end up with less that a thousand kms on the clock when it was given to me. Well i got the car with 68 kilometres, how about that? New car for less 2k€ all i had to do was waiting a month hahah

Fuel economy so far, city driving for 10km got 5L/100. Not bad for breakin car driving with 10ºC degrees. I'm pretty amazed let me tell you.

So far so good.
    Looking forward to put tons of miles on this beast of a car

will update soon.
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrefsbispo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-02-2017),MetroMPG (02-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great!

You'll probably get nearly double MPG as your Miata!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Good review. I am a little jealous because it appears in Portugal you get to buy what essentially looks like a US-market Mirage GT...but with a manual!

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Good review. I am a little jealous because it appears in Portugal you get to buy what essentially looks like a US-market Mirage GT...but with a manual!
    It is very well equipped, has everything i wanted. The only thing it does not have is heated seats and parking sensors other than that is all in. No one wants automatics in Portugal. But this is the only configuration you have. Base price is 14k.
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Great!

You'll probably get nearly double MPG as your Miata!
    I'm expecting to get around 300-400 € savings per year just on fuel.
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Congrats on getting the car, andrefsbispo!

And you got a good deal for letting them show it to other customers. (Or maybe not too many customers? With only 68 km?)

Agreed: the black with those wheels & trim looks very classy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Updating:

So this weekend i did around 400 km. Everything i said about the Mitsu still stands, very confy drive and good basic transportation. Over the 400 km she behave like a champ, one thing i noticed is that the cruise control makes the hill climbs much less stressful for me. I guess it is psychological, since you don't have to step on the throttle harder :P

But for people saying that this car can't climb hills, they are very wrong. Doing 110kmh, with driver, passenger and 12kg dog, it maintained its speed pretty well. One aspect you have to take into account, you have to plan the speed you want to have before the hill, because you won't accelerate while on it.

Arriving at my parent's house, thought it was a good idea to wash my new ride. Oh boy, the black paint is such a pain when it comes to keep water spots away. To make things worst, it was very windy and sunny. The water almost dried instantly. well after a while i manage to keep it clean, pic below

To conclude this update, 4 days in and i already made a dent on my new vehicle, how cool is that? ..... i was not used to the turning radius of the Mirage, and while merging into the road after the highway tolls, got up a very high curb with the front wheel, as it goes down the curb, it hit the car on the bottom. Made some scratches... Scrapping life yo :P No big deal really but it hurt so bad :x
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    A little showcase i filmed of my 2017: (jump to 6m16s)

Space Star 1.2 2017 =>

Mazda MX-5 1990 =>

10. The Following User Says Thank You to andrefsbispo For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-10-2017)