Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Oregon!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hello from Oregon!

With my '96 Ford Aspire showing its age with just over 200k miles on the odometer, I've been looking around for a suitable replacement, and nothing has been really appealing, until I came across the new Mirage. I already get 45+ MPG in my Aspire, but with the Mirage weighing 200 lbs less and being MUCH more aerodynamic (stock Aspire Cd is .36, though I've modded mine), I should definitely be able to get well into the 50 MPG range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Hi Cani...

And don't forget the much more efficient engine in the Mirage. If you're getting 45 from your Ford, 50 should be fairly easy.

Would you go for manual or CVT?

And... welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5 speed for sure. Once I started driving with a clutch, I fell in love with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. Sounds like the Mirage will be a perfect fit for you.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Were all in the same boat as you! Welcome to the cult lol

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Welcome great to have you here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally got to test drive one today, a red DE with a 5 speed. My two biggest concerns were if it was electronic or cable throttle, and how the electronic power steering behaved. Thankfully, the throttle was responsive, and the steering assist turns off on the freeway to give it that nice weighted feel I'm used to with a manual rack. I could really feel the low drag coefficient even with what I consider underinflated tires and was very stable in gusty crosswinds. I'm definitely sold.

I was VERY pleased when I took a look at the underside. It has a perfect setup for mounting front and rear undertrays, and the only thing that's really needed on the shiny side would be some smooth wheel covers and rear skirts.

My Aspire currently has 209k miles on it, so it's got another couple years of life left. In the meantime, I'll be stowing away some cash for a down payment and hopefully pick up a used blue DE 5 speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With todays banking situation, down payments are not really needed. Low interest rate ect ect. I did happen to find a used a Mirage es with a stick on ebay. It was black and not blue sadly. Only had 1700 miles on it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ugh I wanted a black DE but didn't have time to wait for one with a stick.

Edit:
    I didn't put any money down, had my bank and a bank through my dealer competing for my financing (not A+ credit but decent) and ended up with 2.49% 60 month financing plus other incentives offered by financing this way such as my 10 yr. 120k mile bumper to bumper warranty. So, definitely some financing deals available.
    Last edited by RedDE5Spd; 02-17-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: additional comments
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Two updates! I'm now living in Ohio, and was able to pick up a silver DE 5 speed today, and trading in my dying Aspire for more than what I originally paid for it. That's an offer I can't refuse, and payments at $267 a month. Definitely looking forward to having a new blank canvas to work with!