Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What should be kept in a basic tool set to work on a Mirage in the field??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I noticed a lot of 10mm fasteners from what I could tell but didn't look into this much. If there are only a few sizes, I may forgo an entire set and just get the sizes I need. I will probably get some sockets and forgo deep well unless needed as well as some open/boxed end wrenches and maybe some ratcheters.

The basic goal of this set it to be able to conduct basic roadside repairs and maintenance and not rebuild the car. I know I would also want a 17mm as that is the oil drain plug. This is the only thing I have ever turned on this car. So, I would want to be able to swap belts, hoses, thermostat, water pump, tire, sensors, or whatever other part might fail going down the road.

If you think I would be better off with individual components rather than an entire set with tools I won't use and will just add weight, I may forgo the set.

That brings up another question... Are parts available at most auto parts stores in a reasonable time frame?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I noticed a lot of 10mm fasteners from what I could tell but didn't look into this much. If there are only a few sizes, I may forgo an entire set and just get the sizes I need. I will probably get some sockets and forgo deep well unless needed as well as some open/boxed end wrenches and maybe some ratcheters.

The basic goal of this set it to be able to conduct basic roadside repairs and maintenance and not rebuild the car. I know I would also want a 17mm as that is the oil drain plug. This is the only thing I have ever turned on this car. So, I would want to be able to swap belts, hoses, thermostat, water pump, tire, sensors, or whatever other part might fail going down the road.

If you think I would be better off with individual components rather than an entire set with tools I won't use and will just add weight, I may forgo the set.

That brings up another question... Are parts available at most auto parts stores in a reasonable time frame?

Conor

The most common sizes I've used on the Mirage so far are 7,10,12,14,17, and 21mm. Spark plugs were 5/8"(16mm) I believe. I'll have to double check the axle nut size, but I think it's 27mm. A pair of needle nose pliers for pulling fuses comes in handy when the oem fuse puller are usually garbage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I paid extra for a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about carrying tools for roadside repairs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How about T/star bits and hex/Allen bits, etc? Some cars like these types of fasteners a lot.

Conor

I can't see roadside repairs for these cars anytime soon myself, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared I guess. I drive old junk and carry tools around just in case. They sure come in handy when you're 2 hours away from the closest town and 1hr from any cell coverage. I broke a rear brake line once and had to improvise to get back on the road.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-11-2019 at 01:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-06-2017),inuvik (02-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    How about T/star bits and hex/Allen bits, etc? Some cars like these types of fasteners a lot.

Conor
    I've only seen Philips screws(+) no torx or allen head so far.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess old habits die hard when you are used to driving a 20+ year old Geo Metro. Yeah, I have a tendency to go a lot of remote and out of the way places. Roadside assistance and a warranty doesn't really matter if you can't get cell coverage or they can't find you.

I am not going to be in any huge hurry to get a kit going but figured the Kmart deal might be a good time to get a nice set. I am not going to get it if it includes a bunch of sizes I don't need or want for this purpose unless they REALLY drop the price.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the hatchback, I put a pouch with adjustable wrench, pliers, needle nose pliers, multi screwdriver and knife all in a basket with a towel, a rag, a paper sheet set, funnel, fix a flat and fire extinguisher. I had a canvas drawstring bag and put jumper cables in it so they don't get tangled up on everything. I am not sure what else I may need, but I carry so much tools and junk in my pick up that it is ridiculous and I have never really needed any of it. The roadside repairs I have made on other vehicles usually ended up with me being at an auto parts store and Napa and Advanced are both good about loaning you tools.

I would like to know what wrench sizes are most common and I might throw a few of them in and some duct tape, zip tape and bailing wire.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    In the hatchback, I put a pouch with adjustable wrench, pliers, needle nose pliers, multi screwdriver and knife all in a basket with a towel, a rag, a paper sheet set, funnel, fix a flat and fire extinguisher. I had a canvas drawstring bag and put jumper cables in it so they don't get tangled up on everything. I am not sure what else I may need, but I carry so much tools and junk in my pick up that it is ridiculous and I have never really needed any of it. The roadside repairs I have made on other vehicles usually ended up with me being at an auto parts store and Napa and Advanced are both good about loaning you tools.

I would like to know what wrench sizes are most common and I might throw a few of them in and some duct tape, zip tape and bailing wire.
    10,12,14,17,19 and 21mm. You can change a belt with a 14(deep socket) and 12mm. Spark plugs(10mm, an extension and a 5/8 plug socket). Wheel nuts are 21mm. Fuel pump access plate is a Philips. If you brake down chances are you won't have parts to fix it anyways. I don't carry tools in mine other than a screwdriver to remove the license plate. Really there isn't much that should just randomly fail without signs of crapping out before hand except for wiring problems(corrosion).

I used to carry so many tools in my truck cause something would usually break in the middle of no-where heading out camping where there is no cell service. But I had so much crap I could never find what I needed.