Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should be kept in a basic tool set to work on a Mirage in the field??

Country
    United States
    Thanks

What should be kept in a basic tool set to work on a Mirage in the field??

I always like to have a dedicated tool kit for each of my vehicles and do not have one yet for my Mirage. The local Kmart is closing and they have several Craftsman toolkits on sale for close to 50% off as Kmart is part of Sears. This is regular Craftsman, not the Evolve or whatever the cheaper line is called. I was going to build a frankenstein kit form various crap I have laying around but figure I might as well get a nice set with a case with these closeout deals going on.

I was curious what would be some basic required tools to do basic maintenance and repairs on the side of the road if required. So far the only tool I have needed is a 17mm wrench to change the oil. What other tools should I carry? What size sockets and wrenches should I be carrying? Each maker seems to have a bias on certain sizes.

The Geo Metro seems to like 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm fittings with a few larger ones for the axles and such. I am not worried about those larger components for my roadside kit. My GMs have 15mm and Fords have 13mm. What so you suggest on the 2015 Mirage?

Thanks,

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Well, I used to carry a Metrinch tool set in each of my vehicles. I used the one in my Metro A LOT. All I have needed in terms of tools with my Mirage (so far) is a Phillips screwdriver to remove a taillight so I could replace a bulb. You might have to replace a broken serpentine belt someday, but that is one bolt. I am not sure what else the car might need in terms of 'side of the road' repairs.

People at work ask me for tools sometimes...because I always had them...but now I have to say, "New car! I don't carry any!"

I have used Metrinch tools for the last 20 years, and love them. I will probably get something like this eventually. Spendy, but worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metrinch-Too...IAAOSw-0xYfsvm

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Duct tape, bandaids, optimism and Roadside assistance.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-05-2017)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cell phone and a 12 pack of beer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (02-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A scan tool is the most useful

Edit: i usually have a come-along in my trunk (wrapped in a towel) just in case of a wreck or spinout, whatever, you can get yourself out of a jam but no hand tools!
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 02-05-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am sure those are nice tools but they are a little pricey for something I don't plan to use often. Anyway, since no one has suggestions on sizes, I will probably go out and see what sizes are needed. I am pretty sure 10mm is pretty common under the hood but will look at the other sizes as well.

Once I get a good idea, I will head to Kmart and pick out the best set for what I need. I will probably fill in with some extra Craftsman tools I have around for the missing pieces and then I will use Harbor Freight for the rest.

I don't plan to keep any of the larger tools for axles, etc. on hand.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think my scan tool was like $80 and was worth every penny. Since then they have come down a lot I price. Probably get one for $50 or less now. I don't know the ins-and-outs of them but the live view data capability is worth its weight in gold.

Aside from the axle nuts and a big pry bar i removed the transmission using almost all harbor freight colored $9 socket set

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I carry a light gauge set of jumper cables (Mirage doesn't need too many amps to crank over). A small metric socket set that ranges from 8 mm to 19 mm including an appropriate spark plug socket. A ratchet type screwdriver with interchangeable tips. Duct tape, a small roll of electrical tape along with about two feet of automotive electrical wire rolled up. One of those blue shop rags, a super light 4'x8' tarp folded up (because it rains here on the Oregon Coast a lot !). A pair of gloves. A little baby sized pump bottle of hand sanitizer. A gallon of distilled water. A roll of toilet paper (which over the years has proven to be the most valuable!). Sounds like a lot but all of except the water, tp and hand sanitizer fit in the spare tire wheel well. Well, there is one more thing I keep in the car from September through April. A small chainsaw (people living here in the Pacific NW would understand why).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Cell phone and a 12 pack of beer.
    Haha yes thats needed.

I keep all my lug nuts and locking lug nuts near the spare tire. I also have the air compressor there too and a tire pressure gage in the glove box. Usually have my basket net and bungie cords too.
    Last edited by Marklovski; 02-05-2017 at 09:47 PM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A ratchet strap, road flares, bottle of wate, wrenches 10/12/14mm, Phillips screwdriver.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)