Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Different exhaust manifold for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    well you got me..
    I crawled under the car again for a better look only to find the manifold/cat is bolted to the engine rather than the subframe.
    �� hmmm...contacts or glasses?
    I prefer beer googles myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    I swapped back the original exhaust to go for my 20k km servicing.
    Managed to get a photo of the 2016 Attrage stock one piece headers beside super circuit aftermarket headers.
    As you can see the one piece headers are shorter. The mirage stock headers are the same length as the Super circuit headers.
    Name:  IMG_4161.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4165.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  96.3 KB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fit For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    I swapped back the original exhaust to go for my 20k km servicing.
    Managed to get a photo of the 2016 Attrage stock one piece headers beside super circuit aftermarket headers.
    As you can see the one piece headers are shorter. The mirage stock headers are the same length as the Super circuit headers.
    Fit, I have a question. Does the Super Circuit aftermarket header eliminate the catalytic converter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Fit, I have a question. Does the Super Circuit aftermarket header eliminate the catalytic converter?
    Yes the Super circuit headers will eliminate the first cat.
    However there is still a second cat after that on the Attrage at least.

Name:  IMG_3577.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  90.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought these cars only had a single catalytic converter and the downstream device was/is a resonator.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought these cars only had a single catalytic converter and the downstream device was/is a resonator.
    Exhaust manifold - Cat - Cat - Muffler - Resonator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Exhaust manifold - Cat - Cat - Muffler - Resonator.
    Item #4, right? The diagram refers to only one catalytic converter. The second device is not listed or otherwise referenced as a catalytic converter?

The diagram you posted is from group 15 exhaust. Group 17 Engine and Emission Control also refers to the catalytic converter, and it only refers to one not two.

Unless I misunderstand something...
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-11-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are both cats - I hollowed out the honeycomb on the second one myself....its a regular cat, its just not monitored by any sensors. Many, if not all modern cars, have a second, non monitored cat. It is an omission on the part of the manual (which also absolutely fails to mention or show the oil pump anywhere FYI). It looks like a resonator but its a cat. The actual resonator is at the back of the car, well after the larger muffler which is in roughly the middle.

A subtle give a way is the heat shield. Cats get quite hot (due to their exothermic chemical reactions I think) resonators will not have an attached heat shield.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are both cats - I hollowed out the honeycomb on the second one myself....its a regular cat, its just not monitored by any sensors. Many, if not all modern cars, have a second, non monitored cat. It is an omission on the part of the manual (which also absolutely fails to mention or show the oil pump anywhere FYI). It looks like a resonator but its a cat. The actual resonator is at the back of the car, well after the larger muffler which is in roughly the middle.
    Well, if you hollowed one out then you would know! Thanks for making that clear.

Why did you hollow yours out - was something wrong with it?

A subtle give a way is the heat shield. Cats get quite hot (due to their exothermic chemical reactions I think) resonators will not have an attached heat shield.
    The heat shield was once a good indicator, but not so much here as each device along the path get heat shields. The diagram refers to them as heat protector panels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, if you hollowed one out then you would know! Thanks for making that clear.

Why did you hollow yours out - was something wrong with it?

The heat shield was once a good indicator, but not so much here as each device along the path get heat shields. The diagram refers to them as heat protector panels.
    Nothing wrong with it, was just curious if it would make the car sound better, which it did but only very slightly. Not enough to really reccomend.