Thread: 93 octane

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

93 octane

I have never used it in the Mirage, until tonight. Gas station was out of everything except 93 octane (grrrrrr).So, since I was there and the car was quite low on fuel, I just filled it with what they had.
    Any input on if it's better or worse than 87? Anyone use 93? It was Sunoco gas.
    Thanks.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ran mid-grade 89 octane last week and noticed no difference in MPG or power.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

tomrad (02-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Doesn't seem to make a difference from previous reports from people.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

tomrad (02-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Unless your car is designed to run on high octane gas it' a waste of money.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-09-2017),tomrad (02-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Any input on if it's better or worse than 87? Anyone use 93? It was Sunoco gas.
    Thanks.
    It is neither better nor worse, but a waste of money.

From AAA: U.S. Drivers Waste $2.1 Billion Annually on Premium Gasoline
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    After using industry-standard test protocols designed to evaluate vehicle performance, fuel economy and emissions, AAA found no benefit to using premium gasoline in a vehicle that only requires regular-grade fuel.

“Drivers see the ‘premium’ name at the pump and may assume the fuel is better for their vehicle,” said John Nielsen, AAA’s managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. “AAA cautions drivers that premium gasoline is higher octane, not higher quality, and urges drivers to follow the owner’s manual recommendations for their vehicle’s fuel.”

In partnership with the Automobile Club of Southern California’s Automotive Research Center, AAA tested 87-octane (regular) and 93-octane (premium) gasoline in vehicles equipped with a V-8, V-6 or I4 engine designed to operate on regular-grade fuel. To evaluate the effects of using a higher-octane fuel when it’s not required by the manufacturer, each vehicle was tested on a dynamometer, which is essentially a treadmill for cars that is designed to measure horsepower, fuel economy and tailpipe emissions when using both fuel types and variety of driving conditions. The laboratory testing found no significant increases in any tested category, indicating the practice of using premium gasoline when it’s not required for the vehicle offers no advantage.

“AAA’s tests reveal that there is no benefit to using premium gasoline in a vehicle that requires regular fuel,” said Megan McKernan, manager of the Automobile Club of Southern California’s Automotive Research Center. “Premium gasoline is specifically formulated to be compatible with specific types of engine designs and most vehicles cannot take advantage of the higher octane rating.”
    If you are interested in a better quality of fuel for your cars, think about detergent additives. Refer to toptiergas.com for details on additives in gas. While there, look for their list of vendors who are licensed to sell this better quality fuel. Sunoco is not listed as a Top Tier Gas brand.

Last edited by Eggman; 02-09-2017 at 12:22 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-10-2017),R01k (09-16-2020),tomrad (02-12-2017)