Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED headlight owners

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I purchased a set of these the other day. I'll post a write-up when they get here and I get them installed:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Col...+led+headlight

Name:  led lights.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  58.9 KB

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-31-2017),FreeYourSOUL (04-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mini update to this. I installed my LED headlights last weekend and tested the output against my garage.

Before I go any further, I do 100% agree that LED headlights are not meant to be installed in reflective housings. Unfortunately projector housings aren't in my future due to trying to keep a low budget, but I think with some modification I can make the LED's work rather well.

The factory halogen bulbs did put out quite a bit of nice light but I was anxious to try LED "just to see how they worked". Here are the results so far:

Low beam

Name:  lowbeam.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  90.7 KB

High beam

Name:  highbeam.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  94.1 KB

Side-by-side, the filament locations of the halogen bulbs compared to the LED diode locations of the LED headlights matched up perfectly. The LED bulbs have a "glare shield" on the low beams, but as you can see there is still some slight artifact/glare above the low beam cutoff line, without any modification or adjusting. The high beams are incredible. The LED bulbs themselves do not have any kind of adjustment to them.

I plan to try this cheap mod that was posted on the Tacoma forums regarding the LED glare, when I can get around to it. I will take some pics and update this thread when I can. Here is that link:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...rd-mod.395222/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    I plan to try this cheap mod that was posted on the Tacoma forums regarding the LED glare, when I can get around to it. I will take some pics and update this thread when I can. Here is that link:

That's an interesting modification. I didn't notice much difference in the TW thread before & after photos, but that could be me.

I wonder if the mod could be improved by applying a silver surface to the inside of the copper pipe, such as with solder? Just be sure to clean it thoroughly before all the cutting. A good pipe brush ought to help - then heat it up & apply the solder to reflect the light rather than just block it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (04-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was thinking the same - maybe apply some kind of "mirroring" coat to the inside of the pipe/shield to reflect more light upwards.

I'm curious where those triangle-shaped artifacts are coming from inside the light housing. It's too bright to stare into and try to guess hahah. There must be a little bit of direct light reflecting off the bottom of the housing somewhere. I'm guessing the tiny shields on the LED's themselves are not quite adequate enough...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put a couple of Cyclops 3800 Lumen headlights in my car - they're not even car headlights, they are H4 headlights for adventure bikes. They run about $65 for each bulb, but they are pretty much plug and play for the mirage.

They are bright. I mean really bright. People sometimes think I have the brights on. Then I turn the brights on. At which point you can see into their soul.

These that I have use fans. I had one burn up, because the fan got a bug in it, stalling it. Glue a small bit of screen over the grille in the back, and the bugs won't get in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    I put a couple of Cyclops 3800 Lumen headlights in my car - they're not even car headlights, they are H4 headlights for adventure bikes. They run about $65 for each bulb, but they are pretty much plug and play for the mirage.

They are bright. I mean really bright. People sometimes think I have the brights on. Then I turn the brights on. At which point you can see into their soul.

These that I have use fans. I had one burn up, because the fan got a bug in it, stalling it. Glue a small bit of screen over the grille in the back, and the bugs won't get in.
    I've looked at those in the past also. They are expensive but highly rated and the distributor seems to be reputable and stands behind their warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    I plan to try this cheap mod that was posted on the Tacoma forums regarding the LED glare,
    I actually just logged in to say thanks! I put a set of LEDs in my mirage last week and I think I'm blinding people. No one has flashed me yet, but at night I can see people get uncomfortable when I pull up behind them at a red light. haha!

I'm going to give this mod a try and see if it works to put a little more light down on the road and out out of drivers eyes.

Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After using the LED headlights for 8 months I would say my opinion of them is 50/50.

I still stick by the comment I made earlier -they certainly aren't designed to be installed in our reflector headlight housings. The LED light output doesn't focus as well as halogens in these housings.

I do like the white light and they work REALLY well for spotting critters - the LED's reflect off animal eyes and light them up. I can see them bouncing around along side the road much easier.

They also seem to work better in the snow.

I haven't had any problems with anyone flashing their high beams at me. But I think when these LED's begin to fade or expire I will probably go back to normal halogen bulbs. Or if I can swing the cost, mod to projector housings.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ISP_guy For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-11-2017)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Sample video of my LED H4 at post #4

https://youtu.be/wYhW-7wgV4w

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (10-01-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    I sure do, these have worked well for me
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-x-160W-1600...MAAOSw3YNXbR-B
    Those are 160w bulbs. Stock is what, 55w or so? So about a 12a draw vs. 3.1 a draw? What gauge is the Mirage factory wiring?

Here's my concern. I recall somewhere during a engineering course that wiring shouldn't be used for more than 2x the normal rated current for chassis installation and even less current for power transmission.

The chart at the link shows 14ga limited to 32a for chassis wiring, just about 2x it's normal 15a rating.

I'm concerned there's too high a current draw on the standard headlight harness and it could melt in some hard to find hidden place, short out and blow fuses, or worst case, ignite the wiring or something around it and start a car fire.

I know there's no reports of it yet (are there?) but I'd still be super cautious installing LEDs.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)