Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED headlight owners

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Those are 160w bulbs. Stock is what, 55w or so? So about a 12a draw vs. 3.1 a draw? What gauge is the Mirage factory wiring?

Here's my concern. I recall somewhere during a engineering course that wiring shouldn't be used for more than 2x the normal rated current for chassis installation and even less current for power transmission.

The chart at the link shows 14ga limited to 32a for chassis wiring, just about 2x it's normal 15a rating.

I'm concerned there's too high a current draw on the standard headlight harness and it could melt in some hard to find hidden place, short out and blow fuses, or worst case, ignite the wiring or something around it and start a car fire.

I know there's no reports of it yet (are there?) but I'd still be super cautious installing LEDs.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
    They're not 160w bud... it's an over - exaggeration. They're not 16000 lumens either, almost all produce less than 2000 lumens and most around 1100 lumens. They will use less wattage and amperage than factory halogens. If you do some research you'll see that sellers overstate almost all LED stats. Just watch some YouTube videos from Headlight Revolutions and you'll see how well these LEDs actually work and how the actual lumens and beams operate. Almost all LEDs are less effective than HIDs in properly manufactured housing. Don't take ads at face value.

Last edited by Alex1a1f; 12-13-2017 at 04:17 AM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I shouldn't be surprised at Ebay exaggeration for products.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised at Ebay exaggeration for products.
    Not just Ebay, Amazon and manufacture websites do the same. That's why I always tell people to research everything before you believe it. ;-)
    (blank signature)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    LED lights are rated differently and ads can be misleading. They are rated by lumens output comparable to halogens giving about the same lumens but with higher watts rating.

In the packaging you will see the lumens output rating and the watts value w/c is commonly mistaken to be the wattage of the LED bulb, while in fact is the rating of a comparable halogen w/ the same lumens.

Name:  lumens-chart-by-sharon-vaknin.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  55.2 KB

Watts vs. Lumens

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-13-2017),inuvik (12-13-2017),ISP_guy (12-29-2017),TXmirageGUY (10-01-2018)