Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED headlight owners

Country
    United States
    Thanks

LED headlight owners

Hi folks - LED's seem to be getting more popular and the prices are dropping down to the ~$50 range which makes them much more affordable. There appear to be lots and lots of choices, some of which are a little confusing. Questions for current LED headlight owners if you don't mind...

- Do you have any complaints or issues after owning LED headlights for a while?

- Is there anything you learned *after* installing the LED headlights?

- Are there any features to watch out for when shopping for LED headlights?

- Does anyone run fan or fan-less (heat sink or heat ribbon), and what are your experiences with each?

Thank you for your time!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been running these for about a year now. So far so good. They are definitely brighter, but without any adjustments seem to be aimed a bit farther down the road than they should. One of these days I have to figure out how to adjust them down properly to light up the road directly in front of the car better. I know that some say you should never put LED headlights in without projectors, and they are right, but I've asked people and nobody had an issue with glare from my headlights. I've never been flashed that I have noticed, so my guess is that these are low enough not to be a nuisance to other drivers.

These one are fan-cooled. I'm not sure which is better, but obviously once the fan goes the light will go with it. But I like the idea of a fan cooling them rather than a passive heatsink. It also sounds pretty cool hearing the little turbo fans go when you turn them on/off. I wouldn't worry about features other than maybe hi/low beam, which works but not as effectively as standard bulbs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got a pair of passive cooled leds as I figured that if they were designed to work without a fan then no need to worry about a fan motor packing it in....I only got flashed once and that was the first night I used them, nothing after that.The climate up here tends to be harder on filament bulbs, after wild temp swings I see more single headlights show up after that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I was not contented with my first one, one of those early models .. I did not like the Color temp and the throw output. My 2nd one did not last long maybe due to design defects .. I asked for a full refund.

This is my 3rd LED headlight, Made in China, looks very similar to the one at Amazon

Name:  DSC_0005r.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  51.6 KB

SNGL Super Bright LED Headlight Kit - Adjustable Focus Length Bulbs - H4 ( 9003 , HB2 ) - 110w
    Name:  61YkAaCqTJL._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  84.1 KB
    What I like best is that you can adjust the focus length. I purchased at AliExpress the 4000K model as this is the color temp that suits my taste .. for all-weather conditions. For now, I have this feeling that I do no longer need the light of the stock fog lights using them .. but I intend to replace the H11s w/ LEDs as well to match my LED H4 anyway.

Name:  ezgif.com-3c690e01d1.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  11.9 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Excellent info, thank you.

strawboss do you have a link to the LED's you purchased?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    Excellent info, thank you.

strawboss do you have a link to the LED's you purchased?
    I sure do, these have worked well for me
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-x-160W-1600...MAAOSw3YNXbR-B

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

ISP_guy (02-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So the fog lights are H11?

And the headlights are H4?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    So the fog lights are H11?

And the headlights are H4?
    Yes to both

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

flotownj (02-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    strawboss those look really nice and appear to have the beam pattern "shield" I was looking for. Do you notice a nice cutoff on them? Do you have any trouble with high beams, or any problems at all? I really like that price.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    strawboss those look really nice and appear to have the beam pattern "shield" I was looking for. Do you notice a nice cutoff on them? Do you have any trouble with high beams, or any problems at all? I really like that price.
    I have only one issue and that is when the DRL's turn on I notice a slight pulsing in the light output. This I figure is the lamp switching on/off extremely rapidly to achieve the desired light level, some may not notice anything, my buddy hasn't noticed yet.

PS: One other thing I had forgot about and that was when I went to unscrew the heat sink I failed to notice the tiny Allen head set screw holding it tight...I managed to get it halfway off before reading the pamphlet that showed the screw's location...no significant damage was done but I did re-do the threads a bit!

Last edited by strawboss; 03-31-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Edited to change "low beams" to "DRL's'

14. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

ISP_guy (03-31-2017)