Thread: MYTH: car reviewers hate the Mirage

MYTH: car reviewers hate the Mirage

There seems to be a misconception that the Mirage is universally hated by car reviewers.

This is a statement I see regularly on other car sites (both from reviewers themselves and from commenters), and sometimes even around here.

But it's a myth.

Yes, many of the "enthusiast" rags & some big name sites have been particularly hard on the car, but it's not hard to find more balanced reviews. We've summarized & linked to over 300 reviews of the Mirage from around the world, and they're far from all bad.

Oh, and the car has also managed to win numerous awards around the world ... but let's stick to the reviews themselves.

Here are 40 reviews with balanced/positive conclusions:

------

This Is Why The Mitsubishi Mirage Demands Your Respect, carbuzz.com 2017 hatch review

It's for people that simply want basic and reliable transportation, and the Mirage is excellent for that. Really.
    Good review: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES – The Practical Runabout (TFLcar.com)

The Mirage initially may appear to be just another inexpensive high-economy car, but those who look closer will see there’s a lot more to it than that.
    Review - 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4: A Good Starter Car (autobroadcast.com)

The Mirage is a car that offers you what you need for driving without any of the frills that often come along and hike up the price. If you’re looking for a good car to start out, this is a choice you should consider.
    2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Sedan Review - It's Fine (The Truth About Cars / TTAC)

not fun, but it’s not a penalty either. It’s more comfortable than a Yaris, feels bigger inside than an Accent, and the build quality seems competitive for the “how cheap can we make this?” class. I’ve driven the pre-refresh hatch. I despised it. This is definitely better. Not massively better, but better nonetheless. It’s fine. Which I seem to say a lot about this car. It sums it up well.
    2017 Mitsubishi Mirage GT race organizer review (Murilee Martin - Autoweek.com)

the Mirage is yet more evidence that we are living in the Golden Age of Cheapo Econoboxes. [...]
    Very cheap, very good warranty, Point A to Point B. ... Don't bother with the GT or even the SE; you don't need shiny wheels or Bluetooth or a CVT. Get the ES with 5-speed and an old-school AUX cable for your smartphone.
    Road Test: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 SE sedan CVT (Clean Fleet Report)

the Mirage is good, basic transportation if you spend the majority of your time driving in a city or small town.... Mirage G4 should be on your shopping list. It does deliver excellent fuel economy and seating for five at a very competitive price.
    Another decent review: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan CVT (Driving.ca)

If you’re a confident driver, in your hands the Mirage G4 will feel go-kart-like, very nimble and easy to move about in traffic. ... driver inputs are direct and expected. [...] ... sometimes, a cheap and cheerful econobox is all you need. And the Mirage G4 — with its low price, excellent fuel economy, stellar warranty and tech offerings — is a tasty one.
    Good review: 2017 Mirage hatchback (CVT / GT) - Lake Tahoe News

I found nothing wanting. This is a surprising good car
    Mitsubishi Mirage - Surprisingly Honest Fun (Malaysia)

a simple and unpretentious car such as the all-new Mitsubishi Mirage comes across as a very refreshing preposition.
    Motor Week 2015 Mirage review

Mitsubishi realizes that they are facing an up-hill battle, but bringing the Mirage to market with a great ride, acceptable build quality, and respectable comfort for a city car is a sound plan.
    2015 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT review (Aaron Gold - cars.about.com)

The Mirage delivers good gas mileage, proven reliability, and a comprehensive warranty. And for the price Mitsubishi is asking, that’s good enough for me.
    Car Review w/ video: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage 5-speed - a decent review (Driving.ca)

Value for money: good. Mitsubishi's fuel-sipping, no frills hatchback offers straightforward commuting at an affordable price
    US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage long-term test Wrap-up (About.com / Aaron Gold)

Conclusion: A budget car that respects your budget

The Mirage may have its share of detractors, but after living with the car for six months, Robin and I are favorably impressed. The Mirage is small, inexpensive and practical, and proved to us that living with an inexpensive car is easy… especially on the wallet.
    A Year in Cars, 2014: The Mitsubishi Mirage Delivers a Surprise

It may not be a stellar, game-changing hatchback to drive, but it is a basic one that comes with a five-year guarantee [...] we applaud Mitsubishi for its gutsiness in showing American customers that a bargain-priced new car is possible for about 15 grand. Sometimes, the best kind of surprise is the one you weren't expecting.
    Chicago Tribune gets it: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage pushes fuel economy, value

Value is the reason for its existence, therefore it succeeds. [...] The Mirage does what it was intended to do and it does it effectively. It may be the solution for budget-minded consumers and for Mitsubishi.
    another favorable review???? what's going on here?

The '14 Mirage ES offers absolutely nothing to the car enthusiast [...] but it handles transportation duties with admirable efficiency and comfort and comes with a not-at-all-painful price tag. [...] I'm sure many Mirage owners will come to love their cars over the years, and lovable is what you look for in this sort of car.
    US: Fuel economy no mirage -- (Mirage ES CVT review) -- Northwest Herald

The Mirage is not a glamorous car, but the fuel economy speaks for itself. The warranty might compensate for trim deficiencies such as hard plastics for dashboard and inside panels. [...] Mitsubishi's 2014 Mirage can be described in several ways, but all of them add up to this: The hatchback is small, economical and devoid of pretension.
    Australia: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage sedan review/first drive (CarsGuide.com.au)

Let me come straight to the point. This car is one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. [...]
    ...this anonymous-looking $14,490 car is one of the best sedans money can buy.
    Australia: Mitsubishi Mirage LS CVT review & video (Carsguide.com.au)

If you need a little hatch that ticks all the safety, value and basic features boxes, the Mirage is a good little unit that’s handy for city use, and comfortable enough for the daily grind.
    Why One Young Woman Bought a 2014 Mitusbishi Mirage: Frugal Shopping

The surprise hit of all these vehicles was the Mitsubishi Mirage ... it's possible to get a new car in America, with more features than you might expect, for far less than you might predict
    Murilee Martin from AutoWeek reviews the Mirage

In short, the Mirage is a car that doesn't over-promise and doesn't under-deliver. [...] the Mirage competes well with other city cars where its price, fuel economy and slate of standard features are concerned. If Mitsubishi can inform the public about the Mirage's existence and draw prospective buyers into showrooms, we wouldn't be surprised if they're able to beat their modest sales predictions.
    US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage: New Car Review (AutoTrader.com)

The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage has a simple goal: to provide cheap transportation with minimal fuss. On the whole, we'd say mission accomplished. [...] ...if your personal test simply concerns whether or not the car fits your budget and gives you great fuel economy, it's hard to argue with the Mirage. Take one for a spin
    UK review: modest and efficient Mirage is making the most out of simplicity

What the Mirage does best is make the most of simplicity. There are few petrol-engined cars that creep under the magic 100g/km barrier at this price point, and it’s as challenging to own and drive as a pre-completed crossword.
    Australia: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage review - ES auto (Carsguide.com.au)

It feels durable, has a five-year warranty and doesn't guzzle the petrol — what more can be expected of a $13K car? ... The Mirage makes value-for-money sense in a segment where money talks.
    US: Review: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (SubcompactCulture.com)

Despite its Spartan feel and not so noteworthy driving dynamics, there is an honest, simple quality to the Mirage. It’s kind of like finding a pair of inexpensive jeans that fit well. They’re basic, they’re blue, they fit, and they’ll probably last a while, too.
    Canada: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage SE CVT review (Doubleclutch.ca)

...for the average young city dweller, uninterested in the automotive world, but looking for cheap, safe and reliable transportation, the happy little Mirage will get the job done and is definitely worth a look.
    DRIVEN: Paultan's review of the 2014 Mirage (Malaysia)

The Mirage is a decent offering from Mitsubishi. Aside from some concerns regarding its material quality, lack of boot space and power, there isn’t much to complain about. If you’re looking for a first car, or an upgrade from something smaller, you might want to add this hatchback to your list.
    UK: Mirage Review -- Mitsubishi Goes Back to the Drawing Board (PlymouthHerald.co.uk)

MITSUBISHI tends to do small cars rather well ... if you want something a little different you might find a lot to like here.
    US: 2014 Mirage -- Best and Worst Cars I've Driven This Year (Jalopnik.com)

If you want proof that even the cheapest, chintziest cars can make you happy, look no further than the Mistubishi Mirage. I expected the thing to be painfully dull, instead it was outstanding. It felt light, eager, and with its grumbling little inline-three, it just made me want to drive it like a lunatic. And I did, and it was fantastic.
    US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage First Drive (Edmunds.com)

Mitsubishi knows this isn't a flashy hatchback, so there are no false pretenses here. This is an inexpensive car that will deliver outstanding mileage. If you want more than that, look elsewhere
    US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage video review by Autobytel

I've been more than pleasantly surprised. The 5-speed shifts crisply, the engine sounds great... and it's more enjoyable to drive than I expected. Plus there's plenty of great features on the inside. If you're talking bang for your buck, fuel economy, subcompact driving pleasure, you've got to take a look at the Mitsubishi Mirage.
    New Zealand review: Mirage with character (companyvehicle.co.nz)

reasonably well-equipped for the price, unpretentious, and pretty much the perfect size for city living. Plus, it has ... character.
    US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage: The Jalopnik Review (jalopnik.com)

It's cheap, sure, it's loud, low-powered, plasticky, and gripless, but it's also incredibly light, nimble, fantastic on gas, useful, and almost, in its own way, fun.
    US: someone finally gets it - Mirage review "Getting from point A to point B"

So if you are looking for a pretty well equipped car that will get you where you need to go and still have plenty of money left over so you're not eating macaroni and cheese every night, the Mitsubishi Mirage might be a good car for you.
    Canada: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage- Named for what it turns gas stations into

So for a second family car or a first for younger buyers, the Mirage has all the tools to handle day to day commuting and a little fun on the weekend without breaking either the purchase bank or monthly fuel bill.
    Canada: Mitsubishi Drives Onto Hot Sub-compact Market (autonet.ca)

7/10 - Overall: A nice little commuter car with good manners and nice fit and finish
    U.K: Mitsubishi Mirage - a roomy and lively small car (thestar.co.uk)

..the car is certainly worth considering especially because Mitsubishi has a longstanding reputation in the UK for producing good quality cars. My Verdict: A roomy and lively small car.
    Canada: Mitsubishi Mirage is game changer (Nanaimo Daily News)

The Mirage breaks new ground and could well change the fundamental way we look at economical family transportation.
    Canada: Mirage is as easy on your wallet as it is on gas (Victoria Times Colonist)

In absolute numbers, the Chevrolet Spark is smaller, more powerful and less expensive. But if seating for five and fuel economy is more important, the Mirage heads to the top of the class

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-21-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: (added more)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-14-2017),Cobrajet (02-14-2017),Daox (02-14-2017),davidricardo86 (02-22-2017),inuvik (02-13-2017),Johnny Mullet (02-13-2017)

Oh, and I found the above reviews without even going through half our list of reviews from around the world. And I intentionally skipped the "blogger/social media influencer" reviews, which tend to be mostly positive.

I may go through the rest of the list and pull out some more later.

UPDATE... I added another dozen or so to the above post and ran out of room. Here are some more...

------------

Canada: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage: Are Your Eyes Deceiving You? (guideautoweb.com)

Overall, the Mirage is a very good sub-compact. [...] It compares favourably to similar cars. [...] I really liked it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-14-2017),Cobrajet (02-14-2017),Eggman (02-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its not a myth. Its the established reviewers are the one putting it down. The online and outside us do like the car. In other countries Mitsus are know for reliability. In my views the best jap car are mazda and mitsu.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

up to 40 fair/positive reviews

Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Its the established reviewers are the one putting it down.
    I would argue "established" isn't quite the right word -- there are lots of established, mainstream, conventional corporate media outlets in the list above.

It's more the enthusiast (gearhead) journalists, sites & publications that have have piled on the negativity.

===

I added a bunch more balanced/positive reviews to the lists in posts #1 & 2. We're up to 40 now. There are still lots more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-21-2017)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You spent a lot of time on this and I applaud your efforts. I went through all of them. The critical reviews I seen were only related to it being an economy car neglecting the price point given the vehicle model reviewed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Those reviews didn't sway my decision to buy. I made my decision based on my test drive and owner's opinions expressed here at this forum.

Of all the cars I have driven - from used clunkers that probably shouldn't have been out on the road, to new models of both personal and company cars, this has been the most rewarding to drive.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Eggman; 02-22-2017 at 08:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-22-2017)