Thread: Manual 6 Speed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Manual 6 Speed

Much has been said about a 6th gear but I wonder what RPM 6th gear would be around 65-70 would it be near the CVT RPM and how much would mpg improve? Dolores the manual has averaged 46 mpg all winter 80% highway/suburb and 20% city driving as of late.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Most folks think that a sixth gear is simply a higher freeway gear added on top of a five-speed for the purpose of improving economy. But this usually isn't the case. All of the other ratios are changed as well, and each gear becomes 'closer' to the next (called a close-ratio transmission).

Six-speeds are usually offered to increase performance, not economy. Thus, the sixth gear in a six-speed would likely be nearly the same ratio as the fifth gear in a five-speed.

In an economy car like this I certainly would not expect a six-speed to ever be offered.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Most folks think that a sixth gear is simply a higher freeway gear added on top of a five-speed for the purpose of improving economy. But this usually isn't the case. All of the other ratios are changed as well, and each gear becomes 'closer' to the next (called a close-ratio transmission).

Six-speeds are usually offered to increase performance, not economy. Thus, the sixth gear in a six-speed would likely be nearly the same ratio as the fifth gear in a five-speed.

In an economy car like this I certainly would not expect a six-speed to ever be offered.
    Bring back the "Twin Stick"!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-14-2017),poorman1 (02-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That would work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Hell yeah!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know everyone dislikes the short 5th but am i the only one that thinks 1st should be longer, too? I feel like 1st is only useful if your loaded down or something. I start off in 2nd gear quite often. 1st-and-a-half would be really great

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I know everyone dislikes the short 5th but am i the only one that thinks 1st should be longer, too?
    I agree but the low first gear makes it easy to start on hills.

I just wish the ratios were not so close.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (02-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Isn't there a European-spec 5-speed transmission (or something like that?) that has different gear ratios or maybe a different final drive ratio...that would mean a few hundred RPMs less in 5th gear? That would be a great no-cost option for Mitsubishi.

I have thought about a massively taller 6th gear before and wondered if it would work. Imagine a 5-speed Mirage turning 2000 RPMS at 65mph with the cruise control on. Now that would be great and I think it would work fine on level ground.

Now imagine that same situation with the car going up a slight grade at 65mph with the cruise control on. Does this engine have enough power at 2000 RPMs to maintain that speed? Obviously the CVT just bumps up the RPMS in this situation, but in a manual you would almost have to have the cruise disengage at some point to force the driver to downshift. Maybe that's the reason the engineers have decided to keep the freeway RPMs up on a 5-speed.

...and someone clue me in on what a "twin stick" is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quick link to Wiki about Mitsubishi's twin stick aka super shift transmission in the mirage!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...t_transmission

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DottandDolores For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Isn't there a European-spec 5-speed transmission (or something like that?) that has different gear ratios or maybe a different final drive ratio...that would mean a few hundred RPMs

...and someone clue me in on what a "twin stick" is.
    One of my other cars has a really deep 6th gear and cruise control. If i don't watch what's going on it'll spool the turbo trying to climb a mountain at 2k rpm so i can see your point but if your to lazy to reset the cruise you should've got the auto. Lol

Is there any other information available about the UK trans as far as how to distinguish a 3.55 uk box over the common gearbox?

Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Quick link to Wiki about Mitsubishi's twin stick aka super shift transmission in the mirage!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...t_transmission

Wow cool - thanks for the link, here i thought it was a reference to the 80s hurst olds lol
    Attached Images Attached Images