Thread: OIL FILTER non-USA markets

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

OIL FILTER non-USA markets

WORLD MARKET OVERVIEW OF OIL FILTERS FOR MIRAGE

Note: All listed here feature an anti drain-back valve, and also a bypass valve as well.
    They are a little taller (20mm more) than the original, but fit perfectly in our cars!
    They are also OEM in very many Diesel-engined AUDI / SEAT / VW from 1978 on, thus their much greater capacity and capability.

BRAND and TYPE:

MANN: W610/3
    (MANN und Hummel)

WIX / FILTRON: OP575
    Both WIX and FILTRON have now become part of MANN and HUMMEL, but Filtron and M&H filters are not identical! The Filtron version come from the newest factory in Poland and were built from the best and most modern materials using the latest machinery.

Bosch: 0 986 452 041

Fram: PH5949

Hengst: H97W05

Knecht / Mahle: OC196 (1.0 bar opening pressure for integrated bypass valve)
    or OC986 (1.3 bar opening pressure for integrated bypass valve)

Purflux: LS910

Changing procedure:
    For removal, use a regular 65mm x 14 cap which fits all listed, and the original one as well.
    This is the preferred means of removal and installation in our cars, see FSM for details.

I don't have any personal preference, all are good.
    These manufacturers have been known for decades as the OEM suppliers of the European luxury car market.

EDIT:October 2017

Meanwhile I have tried out very many filters, and differences have become obvious.

I prefer the Filtron OP575 for two reasons:
    A) Filtration is very good, with parts as small as 2µm being filtered out. Usually 20µm is considered normal.
    B) The non-return valve of the OP575 is the most effective. Even with 0W20, the rattle of starting the engine with a drained oilfilter is gone, because of the superior non-return valve of the OP575. It is made of PTFE rather than cheaper silicone.

Last edited by foama; 06-24-2020 at 04:42 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-18-2017),Cobrajet (02-17-2017),Eggman (02-17-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    A) Filtration is very good, with parts as small as 2µm being filtered out. Usually 20µm is considered normal.
    B) The non-return valve of the OP575 is the most effective. Even with 0W20, the rattle of starting the engine with drained oil is gone, because of the superior non-return valve of the OP575.
    Thanks for the post, foama. What's so unique about the non-return valve on the OP575? Can you describe it's appearance or better yet do you have any pictures of what it looks like? Or are you only going on how it works with your engine? I understand there are not many different non-return (or anti-drainback) valve designs in common use in the market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    WORLD MARKET OVERVIEW OF OIL FILTERS FOR MIRAGE

Fram: PH5949

B) The non-return valve of the OP575 is the most effective. Even with 0W20, the rattle of starting the engine with drained oil is gone, because of the superior non-return valve of the OP575.
    Fram filters for the Mirage in the US market are the PH7317 normal filter, UG7317 (ultra guard), TG7317 (tough guard), and HM7317 (high mileage). Thus, we are not the same there.

I was going to use Mobil 1 filters, but I wasn't sure they had a anti-flow back valve or not. Thus, I've been using a Purolator ONE (PL14610). The box clearly states they are anti-flow back, & I have had good luck with this brand in the past. The Purolator ONE is about $8, & it carried by a nearby Farm & Fleet store. Purolator also has a BOSS filter that is more expensive. I also use Purolator filters for my riding lawnmower & UTV (both have Kawasaki engines).

I've used FRAM a lot in the past, & I can't really say I've had back luck with them. K&N filters are common here, too. They may be similar to the Filtron, because I see K&N making an effort to cross reference with them. Not sure about that, however?
    Last edited by Mark; 04-23-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks for the post, foama. What's so unique about the non-return valve on the OP575? Can you describe it's appearance or better yet do you have any pictures of what it looks like? Or are you only going on how it works with your engine? I understand there are not many different non-return (or anti-drainback) valve designs in common use in the market.
    Sorry Eggman, oversaw your post.
    The difference of the OP575 valve is, that it actually seals off close to 100% in a horizontally mounted filter. Most anti-drainback valves will not seal off sufficiently to be effective mounted horizontally. This is due to the different material the OP575 is made from (PTFE), which does not deform in time due to heat and is also much more elastic to start with.
    The second advantage is the exceedingly finer filtration. Because of finer filtration it is a must for the filter to have a bypass valve, because at startup the finer filtration material causes a higher pressure-difference. The bypass valve relieves pressure difference during startup and thus gets the oil pressure up quicker. With both these features combined, there is no more "no-oil-startup-rattle".
    Last edited by foama; 06-24-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

WIX / FILTRON: OP575
    Here's what I see when I try to look up a WIX OP575 in the US.

foama...Do either of these look correct?

Name:  wix.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  73.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

That's what wix used to say fit the mirage a few years ago, now they call for a 57356 which appears to have smaller holes than the 51356.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's what wix used to say fit the mirage...now they call for a 57356...
    I'm glad you said that. I just looked it up by vehicle (instead of the filter #) and Wix says the Mirage uses a 57356. Might be time for a road trip to NAPA to compare them in person.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

You can tell the difference in the pics on rockauto too. Outside dimensions are basically the same just the flange is different, smaller holes on the 573 and it's dished in rather than out on the 513. I don't know why they make changes like that? I noticed they did the same for some gm's as well.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-24-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Here the OP575, the sort I use because it stops any startup rattle. To me it looks like Top Fuel's post #5 further up.

Name:  OP575.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  29.7 KB

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-26-2020)