Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack (review/update of Thule 480 Traverse)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Roof Rack (review/update of Thule 480 Traverse)

I've had the Thule 480 Traverse rack for my Mirage for a couple years now. I just thought I'd use this space to commend the excellent design . . . and now warranty service.

They aren't cheap, but they are rock solid, well designed (each fit kit is specific to each car), and work brilliantly.

I recently broke a little plastic piece - not a big deal, as the rack works without it, but Thule is sending me a new one without a lot of hassle. I'm impressed that they stand by their product so well.

I'd used Yakima racks on my last 3 cars, and they were very good, but I now prefer Thule based on this system.

One beef, not with Thule but with Mitsubishi, is that while the racks can hold 150lbs, Mitsubishi only rates the roof for 40kg or 88lbs. That's a bit limiting, though again not really a problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-21-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi's weight limit would make perfect sense considering the car weighs barely 2000lbs and Mitsubishi is intimately aware of the structural limitations of the car's roof.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Mitsubishi's weight limit would make perfect sense considering the car weighs barely 2000lbs and Mitsubishi is intimately aware of the structural limitations of the car's roof.
    I suspect it is just a liability thing. Fact is, if you put the car upside down, I suspect it could hold its own weight . . . so there is enough strength somewhere in those pillars. I think it might be along the same vein as modern cars having 0 tow rating (and I don't just mean this little car, but even something like a Honda Civic - decent engine, decent brakes - cannot tow anything at all, though. Other cars that size in the past could tow 2000lbs comfortably.

Anyway, not a problem as I usually just carry one canoe, but I would prefer they tell me I could carry 150lbs if I wanted to (and I'm fairly sure I could anyway . . . If I wanted to).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's a liability thing.

It takes 10,031 lbs to depress the roof by the b-pillar 3 inches. So the roof can withstand over 75 lbs of cargo.

I've carried 300 lbs and it felt fine through the Rockies.

Just be safe and do what you feel comfortable with.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    It takes 10,031 lbs to depress the roof by the b-pillar 3 inches.
    That's wild - I haven't heard this before. Where'd you get this from?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's a liability thing.

It takes 10,031 lbs to depress the roof by the b-pillar 3 inches. So the roof can withstand over 75 lbs of cargo.

I've carried 300 lbs and it felt fine through the Rockies.

Just be safe and do what you feel comfortable with.
    cool.. how much to just flex the structure or crack the front or rear glass, jam the doors? Is there an article or document available with more info? I would like to invest in some good racks so I can haul a kayak and gear but am hesitant to spend the money if I can't use them.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's wild - I haven't heard this before. Where'd you get this from?
    There's obviously more to it then what I wrote, but just saying our roof structure is definitely stout.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...hatchback/2015
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    (blank signature)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-18-2017),Marklovski (02-19-2017),MetroMPG (02-21-2017),MightyMirageMpg (02-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a big fan of the Spark's oem permanent roof rails. I might purchase a used set and see if I can make them work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    There's obviously more to it then what I wrote, but just saying our roof structure is definitely stout.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...hatchback/2015
    I hadn't explored those details yet. Thanks for posting this.

Mirage = Mighty Mouse lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a big fan of the Spark's oem permanent roof rails. I might purchase a used set and see if I can make them work.
    I can tell you without a doubt in my head that's a step in the wrong direction. There's almost no strength in the roof tin. I've had couches kayaks a chest freezer all kinds of things ratchet strapped directly to my roof panel.

For those who are wondering, I've collapsed the roof many times. Never had any issues with it popping back out until the chest freezer. It distorted my headliner and left 2 permanent dents one on each side of the roof panel itself. Unless you look for it you never see it and personally i enjoy them. They remind me of Christmas lol

I think for the most part if You use a moving blanket on the roof for paint protection, and common sense, your ok. the problems arise when you go to extremes.

Roof racks are ok but they concentrate the pressure on smaller areas, so the weight limit has to be smaller, or you'll do damage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-18-2017)