Page 269 of 272 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 2720

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You might want to be careful disconnecting connectors. I've read that the battery should be disconnected before airbag connectors are disconnected. I don't know if leaving the battery connected and disconnecting airbag connectors would set off an airbag, but I wouldn't chance it. Just make sure you're not messing with airbag connectors ... unless you do have the battery disconnected.
    Yeah I thought the same thing. I didn’t want to take a chance on the connectors so I putted everything back where it was. I turned on the car and drove my G4 around and nothing had happens. No warning nor hiccups whatsoever.

I’m still inclined to get the console armrest installed soon though a different or creative ways. The installation still requires drilling and cutting. So I will have to think outside of the box there once I received the OEM parts to install. Again I only wanted to be proactive on this as supposed to be reactive later.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You might want to be careful disconnecting connectors. I've read that the battery should be disconnected before airbag connectors are disconnected. I don't know if leaving the battery connected and disconnecting airbag connectors would set off an airbag, but I wouldn't chance it. Just make sure you're not messing with airbag connectors ... unless you do have the battery disconnected.
    I don't buy that crap. The second you unplug most airbags that have a pigtail attached there's a jumper bar that shorts the connectors together preventing any magical explosion. I've never heard of an airbag blowing up on it's own. Pretty sure it's mostly folklore that someones neighbors cousins sister's boyfriend had it happen to their buddy. If there is a chance of it happening, you'd be more likely to win the lottery.
    The theory of disconnecting the battery preventing that from happening could be argued by some that say the airbag computer has capacitors inside that could magically set off airbags too... Don't send power into the airbag circuit and you'll be fine. Don't unplug an airbag then turn the key on or you'll throw an airbag code that you might not be able to clear with a fing fong code reader.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Basic (02-28-2024),mohammad (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't buy that crap. The second you unplug most airbags that have a pigtail attached there's a jumper bar that shorts the connectors together preventing any magical explosion. I've never heard of an airbag blowing up on it's own. Pretty sure it's mostly folklore that someones neighbors cousins sister's boyfriend had it happen to their buddy. If there is a chance of it happening, you'd be more likely to win the lottery.
    The theory of disconnecting the battery preventing that from happening could be argued by some that say the airbag computer has capacitors inside that could magically set off airbags too... Don't send power into the airbag circuit and you'll be fine. Don't unplug an airbag then turn the key on or you'll throw an airbag code that you might not be able to clear with a fing fong code reader.
    It is my understanding the shunt (shorting bar) is to discharge any static electricity.

It's a good practice to ground yourself while working with explosive squibs (or any electronic devices like exposed circuit boards) by either touching a grounded surface or wearing a grounded electrostatic discharge (ESD) strap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    On 2/26/2024 I was bored, couldn't sleep. So at about 11 PM, to about 3 AM, I went on a 150 mile road trip through the California mountains of Jacinto. Got to see snow for the fist time this year!

Then later that day, work got canceled due to rain. So I went back to the same mountains (120 miles, different route) in the rain in the day to go see them in the daylight. It was neat.

Car handles the hills good. I give it 2,000 RPM up the hills, gets the car to about 30 MPH. Good enough! Sipped fuel both times, first trip got 59.4 MPG, 2nd trip got 58.4 MPG.

150 Miles- Name:  Screenshot (2927).jpg
Views: 142
Size:  83.7 KB
    120 Miles- Name:  Screenshot (2928).jpg
Views: 142
Size:  87.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lock dot 2 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-02-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It is my understanding the shunt (shorting bar) is to discharge any static electricity.

It's a good practice to ground yourself while working with explosive squibs (or any electronic devices like exposed circuit boards) by either touching a grounded surface or wearing a grounded electrostatic discharge (ESD) strap.
    I get it, but can anyone find any story, report or video of an airbag going off while someone is removing it with or without the battery disconnected? I've heard the same thing about bags can go off from static electrocitys but have never heard of it actually happening. Worked in a wrecker for 14 years and pulled hundreds of airbags out of dead and working cars.
    I always made sure to store an airbag facing up, just incase it did magically go off. After seeing them blow up first hand I figure it's better to have the bag blow up then blow facing down and become a projectile. Smafety 12th.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I get it, but can anyone find any story, report or video of an airbag going off while someone is removing it with or without the battery disconnected?
    Story: When I was working in the Hyundai plant, a Korean engineer was futzing around in the driver's seat, messing with the cluster of a new car, I don't know why. But he was leaning in to focus on the cluster. Another Korean guy was farting around under the hood with the main wiring harness. I was standing outside the car on the passenger side sort of watching them all. The steering wheel airbag deployed and the guy in the driver's seat was decaffeinated.

A 3rd Korean outside the car sort of jolted back a step and to this day, I remember the phrase he said. He said, "bulhaenghan il-igun-yo..." I never knew what that meant. Then he pointed at the guy under the hood and grunted out some more Korean that I don't remember, while working his hands around in front of him to the point I could tell he was telling the guy under the hood to put all that chit back together. Then he grabbed the guy's head from the rear seat and walked into the office. I had to go finish a powerpoint about a whole lot of nothing garbage that had zero value, so I went and did that. That's the last I heard about it. So ... there ya go! That's a story.

The moral of the story: Never ever disconnect any wiring, ever. True story, aka fact yo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I spent way too long cleaning the car today. Washed it last night, and today cleaned the inside for about 2 hours. It's about as clean as when it was new 11,000 miles ago.

Maybe it will get better than 50.1 MPG average, now that it's clean on the outside? Less drag?

Name:  Screenshot (2933).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  Screenshot (2934).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot (2935).jpg
Views: 129
Size:  93.2 KB
    Name:  Screenshot (2938).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  84.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot (2939).jpg
Views: 128
Size:  88.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot (2940).jpg
Views: 126
Size:  95.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot (2941).jpg
Views: 128
Size:  92.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lock dot 2 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (02-29-2024),Fummins (03-05-2024),inuvik (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lock dot 2 View Post
    Maybe it will get better than 50.1 MPG average, now that it's clean on the outside? Less drag?
    Absolutely it will!

That yeller color is fantabulous. Can you come to my house and demonstrate on my car, what you did to yours (while I lay in a hammock and eat bon-bons)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-29-2024)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Spoke with my coworkers and they think I drive a rally car
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Dookaughs (03-03-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ordered 2 parts:

1) OEM center console armrest
    2) OEM B pillar carbon fiber trim

Can’t wait.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-05-2024),Marklovski (03-05-2024)