Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Owner...

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Talking New 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Owner...

Hey everyone! :-D

My name is Tommy Thomas and I live in the Upstate of South Carolina! I just recently paid down on my first ever Mitsubishi, the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 in Starlight Silver! I'd like to first off tell everyone what a great forum you have here! I've read a lot before posting! Awesome place!

I remember the first VCR we ever had in my family growing up was a brand new Mitsubishi VCR in 1987 (still have it). I've always liked Mitsubishi, but never rode in or had driven one. My Mom and Dad were always Ford people (more specifically, Mercury people). I eventually followed suit with a 2008 Ford Ranger XLT single cab short bed pickup bought new. I still drive it to this day with barely 60,000 miles on it. I have never had a single problem with it. Over the years, and especially this decade, I don't like the direction Ford has taken. Among the numerous things, there were two things that stood out most to me: 1) Ford killed the Ranger in the U.S. in 2011. That was an extremely dumb move on Ford's part. I keep hearing Ford will bring back the Ranger and Bronco in 2018 (I believe or 2019). The worst thing for me though was Ford killing off Mercury entirely. Yes, Ford had let Mercury stagnate, but Mercury could have been rebooted somehow. I wrote off Ford for those two reasons, even though I could look past the other things I took issue with them over.

For a few years, I had a 2013 Honda Accord LX (stripped down entirely short of having a CVT instead of a manual). It was a great car, even though I couldn't agree it was a mid-size car anymore. I read in an article somewhere the Accord was just inches away from being classified as a full-size car. It felt every bit like a full-size car. It was a great car, but I ended up selling it due to having to quit both my jobs to stay at home full-time to take care of my Mom who was in failing health. She passed away in January of last year. My Dad passed away in 2012. So, I went back to the Ranger full-time after selling the Accord.

Fast forward to over a month ago when I saw something online about the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 Sedan. It piqued my interest as I'm big on keeping a car simple. It looked like an honest, non-pretentious car. I kept seeing the models that had the touchscreen and Bluetooth, being reviewed, but I eventually saw where the lowest end base model had a regular stereo, no Bluetooth, etc... that's when I knew I wanted to test drive it and see what I thought about it. I went to the nearest Mitsubishi dealership... Greer Mitsubishi in Greer, SC which is a 30 minute drive from where I live. I wanted to test drive a completely stripped down ES model, with the exception being a CVT. I got to drive a white one...

To say that it was a perfect fit from the moment I sat down in the car is an outright understatement! :-D The seat was extremely comfortable! The steering feel, how agile it was, how simple everything was laid out (this coming from a techie). I couldn't get over how awesome it was! The sound system was great, the brakes were just right... it was all awesome! I loved how it didn't have all the unnecessary stuff (to me), such as Bluetooth, a touchscreen (can't stand touchscreens in a car, and to some degree, I don't like them much, especially to type on). I would've loved it more had it had crank windows and manual locks, but I really like the power windows/locks.

Long story short, I ended up putting down on a Starlight Silver G4 and it's been awesome. Had it for 10 days now and I love it! I've read and watched quite a few reviews in which many (not all... kudos to the fair reviewers) reviewers trashed the car outright. Seriously guys?!? It has a ton of charm to it. It's an awesome car that gives you the basics plus the reliability, which is the most important thing to me. I get so sick of the bashing of this car. I intend to do a YouTube video review of my car, because I have yet to find one review in which the completely stripped down ES model without the touchscreen and Bluetooth is reviewed. The YouTube review in which I thought the car got bullied the most was the one by Kelley Blue Book. Among the parts I didn't like in it was when he laughed after mentioning the poster board in the trunk. I felt like he was really bullying the car.

It's the most fun car I've ever driven in my life and I wouldn't have anything else honestly! :-D

On another note, to the reviewers who keep talking about how slow the car is and how it's not good on the interstate/merging, I have a comparison that will counter this. For a short while, I had a loaner 2013 Honda Civic LX while the Accord was getting a TSB fixed (recall, nothing mechanical though). The Civic was a great car in it's own right, but there was one thing that was really bad about the car. Whenever I would merge onto the interstate, I really had to punch it to get it to go because it felt like the motor was gutless. In any other situation, it was good. Granted, it was a dealer-owned loaner (could've been dogged around and the tranny could have been damamged) and the '13 Civics had a regular gear driven automatic, while the '14's were the first ones to have the CVT, so those two factors could have played a role in it. Even though the Civic technically has a bigger motor 1.6 vs. the Mirage G4's 1.2 (I know I'm probably comparing apples to oranges though), the Mirage handles merging very easily and I don't feel like the car is gutless as I did with the Civic. Not at any point have I thought the Mirage was slow or gutless.

Thank you Mitsubishi for making the car for "the rest of us"! :-D Thanks to everyone here for an awesome forum full of awesome information and thank you for letting me share my story!

Tommy

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thetommyboy2k For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (02-20-2017),BostonJellyBean (02-20-2017),Cobrajet (02-20-2017),daleWV (02-20-2017),debburyl (02-22-2017),inuvik (02-20-2017),MetroMPG (02-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and We all look forward to hearing more about your Mitsu. Great first post. Post some pics of your sweet ride when you have the chance,
    Last edited by inuvik; 02-20-2017 at 06:28 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome..and great first post, definitely top 10 worthy.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Welcome aboard! Nice write-up!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey again! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Here are some pics of my Mits!

Name:  WP_20170213_10_28_31_Pro.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  96.6 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_10_28_36_Pro.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  95.2 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_10_28_39_Pro.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  97.3 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_10_28_44_Pro.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  103.4 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_10_30_37_Pro.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  101.2 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_10_31_00_Pro.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  105.4 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_10_31_22_Pro.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_10_31_45_Pro.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  53.2 KB
    Name:  WP_20170213_12_04_28_Pro.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  97.5 KB
    Name:  WP_20170214_10_18_41_Pro.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  90.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello thetommyboy2k and welcome to the forum. I think you are going to enjoy your Mirage for a very long time.

Looking forward to your garage entry: Garage empty: add car. There you can keep us all appraised on your new car, and even set up some photo albums too.

So tell us, did this forum influence your decision to get a Mirage? Visit this thread and cast your vote:

Poll: Did this forum help you decide to get a Mirage?

Again, welcome!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice car! Welcome aboard.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There you go! Congrats. I bought a used 2015 ES cvt in November. Then my fiance fell In love with it and made me go buy a 2017 5mt for myself lol. Both are hatchbacks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Tommy!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Welcome to the forum, Tommy!

Congrats on your G4. Glad you're enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by thetommyboy2k View Post
    he laughed after mentioning the poster board in the trunk.
    I remember that part... and I don't know what he considers posterboard (that's cardboard, to me), but the divider is plastic.

It'd be great to see another owner video review if you decide to do one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)