Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your rust (where will Mirage corrosion problem areas be?)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Show me your rust (where will Mirage corrosion problem areas be?)

I want to see a Mirage with any signs of rust on it. I feel if we can see where the issues start, those of us in the rust belt have a fighting chance. I have seen Jeep, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Subaru, and other vehicles come into my shop with rust/rot issues and they were less than 7 years old. I recently worked on a 2011 Outlander at my shop and was surprised at how clean it was for being in the rust belt with nothing but some minor rust spots on the control arms and rear cradle.

There has gotta be some 2014 Mirage owners out there with undercarriage pics. Please share!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All over underneath my mirage has rust. All exhaust suspension, engine cradle, everything has rust on it. Bolts are starting to rust tooin other areas like behind bumpers. I have a few hood stone chips starting to rust.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel that would be the Frist thing I would do if I lived in the Rust Belt!! To protect my Jelly Bean!!and I would wash it on a more then regular basis!! It would also cut down on the road noise.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car was manufactured in December 2015, I bought it in March 2016, and this pic was taken April 2016. The exhaust is already rusty! Not as bad as the Metro in the background yet. I decided to store my Mirage in my garage this winter, because what Wisconsin winters do to cars ain't pretty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spork For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-24-2017)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not too worried about rusty exhaust. That is common no matter where you live. I live in the rust belt and here is an example of what I deal with daily. This is a 2011 Jeep with 75K on it and it's already junk..................

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Hmmm...is the Mirage exhaust system made out of 409 stainless steel (like many manufacturers use) or is it just cheaper aluminized steel?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Not too worried about rusty exhaust. That is common no matter where you live. I live in the rust belt and here is an example of what I deal with daily. This is a 2011 Jeep with 75K on it and it's already junk..................

That's ridiculous.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hmmm...is the Mirage exhaust system made out of 409 stainless steel (like many manufacturers use) or is it just cheaper aluminized steel?

Not even aluminized steel! Naked steel, cheap as it could possibly get!

One of the first things I did, was to paint the exhaust. After almost three years now, that paint gets touched up (sanded where needed and repainted...) before and after each winter. A pita, but the effort is worth it. All because Mitsubishi saved less than two Dollars in manufacturing. Grrr...

All cavities have been treated with cavity wax, including the seams around the perimeter inside the doors,trunk and motor compartment lids. It is a day's work to do it all properly, plus about €20 (15 Dollars US) for the cavity wax. Well worthwhile!

The seams of underbody and wheel wells are now sealed and thus protected by one-component-PU glue/sealant, exactly the same stuff used for glueing aircraft, bus and truck bodies together.

The axle frames front and rear ("members") are also prone to rust, especially so where welded. Undercoat plus paint gives fantastic results and costs little more than your time!
    Last edited by foama; 02-25-2017 at 07:57 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    One of the first things I did, was to paint the exhaust. After almost three years now, that paint gets touched up (sanded where needed and repainted...) before and after each winter. A pita, but the effort is worth it. All because Mitsubishi saved less than two Dollars in manufacturing. Grrr...

All cavities have been treated with cavity wax, including the seams around the perimeter inside the doors,trunk and motor compartment lids. It is a day's work to do it all properly, plus about €20 (15 Dollars US) for the cavity wax. Well worthwhile!

The seams of underbody and wheel wells are now sealed and thus protected by one-component-PU glue/sealant, exactly the same stuff used for glueing aircraft, bus and truck bodies together.

The axle frames front and rear ("members") are also prone to rust, especially so where welded. Undercoat plus paint gives fantastic results and costs little more than your time!
    Thanks for the write-up, foama. If you ever touch up your work I would like to see some pictures of the areas treated and links to what you used.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks for the write-up, foama. If you ever touch up your work I would like to see some pictures of the areas treated and links to what you used.
    The exhaust looks much like the picture in post #4 after one salty winter. Untreated it would be 100% brown all over within a single year.

Some useful products for rustproofing:

Sealant for seams on underbody and wheel wells
    Warning! Do not use silicone sealant on a car body, because the resulting acetic acid will cause damage!
    Here two examples of good products. (I happen to use the first one, because the local place sells it):

http://www.petec.de/index.php?id=580&L=1

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/indus...=8797964632065

Cavity wax spray,
    here two products, no personal preferences:

3M 08892 Rust Fighter-I

http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthsto...l/p/0892082500

You may want to search for "Cavity Wax" or Cavity Waxing" in youtube. Plenty of tutorials there.

A good undercoat after de-rusting is
    "Hammerite Rust Blocker",
    a good paint on top is "Hammerite".

That is the same sort of paint used for ocean-going ships. It leaves a thick coat and is flexible enough not to crack.

Last edited by foama; 03-04-2021 at 06:54 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-27-2017),Johnny Mullet (02-26-2017),MetroMPG (10-03-2017)