Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your rust (where will Mirage corrosion problem areas be?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Foama, have you stuck a magnet to the exhaust pipe to see if its really not stainless? Stainless exhausts do rust, just not as quickly as others. I'd be interested in someone doing this as I'd be pretty surprised in any OEM car leaving a factory without a stainless exhaust. Here in the salty areas a mild steel exhaust will last 2 years before rusting through. I haven't heard of any rust issues with Mirages and its been two years...

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Foama, have you stuck a magnet to the exhaust pipe to see if its really not stainless? Stainless exhausts do rust, just not as quickly as others. I'd be interested in someone doing this as I'd be pretty surprised in any OEM car leaving a factory without a stainless exhaust. Here in the salty areas a mild steel exhaust will last 2 years before rusting through. I haven't heard of any rust issues with Mirages and its been two years...
    Most stainless exhaust tubing is ferritic chromium which is magnetic stainless steel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-27-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post

No, the exhaust is definitely not stainless steel!

Here is a picture of some part of "frame" worth looking at. This part is underneath, about where the feet of the driver are, and there is also a similar piece on the other side where the front passenger's feet are. The black bit on the bottom left is the front axle. The picture was taken on the left (driver's) side.

The brown stuff is wax, not rust! Inside these parts, dirt and mud can and will accumulate, so it is worth looking at. You may want to wax it from inside, but make it perfectly clean with a pressure hose first, and let it get 100% dry. Then, when it is perfectly clean and dry, you could treat it with wax spray.

Name:  maybe rust.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  89.7 KB
    Last edited by foama; 03-02-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anyone got pics of the chassis with the plastic under-trays removed? Or with the lower rocker cover off? Kinda curious if the design allows easy packing of salt/debris in/around..

All 4 doors have drain holes for everyone spraying crap on and in them make sure you don't clog them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One product you guys might want to look into is fluid film. It is a fantastic product and I'd recommend buying a gallon and using a paint sprayer to apply it. It also comes in aerosol cans locally.

I just bought a new Tundra last year and applied fluid film right away. I bought it in early Feb last year so it's almost been through 2 winters and not a spec of rust. Look the product up.

When I get the mirage's I will apply fluid film immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Anyone got pics of the chassis with the plastic under-trays removed? Or with the lower rocker cover off? Kinda curious if the design allows easy packing of salt/debris in/around..

All 4 doors have drain holes for everyone spraying crap on and in them make sure you don't clog them.
    I haven't had any of the plastic trays off yet, next time I have a 15' on the hoist I'll pull them and post some pics of whats stuck in there. I'm worried about the drivers floor rusting out. A lot of the cars that come in have soaked carpet from drivers not kicking the snow off their shoes and not dumping the water from floor mats.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (03-17-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took off the roof mouldings today... knowing under those have been dirt and places for rust starting in past vehicles. I used a 90 degree plastic removal tool and popped each up on both ends and on both sides. Then the mouldings just pull off, very easy. Underneath, there was a lot of dirt and gunk built up. I wiped each gutter out and the bottom moulding too. Then reinstalled by snapping in one end and pushing the moulding towards the other end where it snaps in too. I only have 20k and it was worth doing. Just thought someone else might like to know too.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    (blank signature)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (03-03-2021),debburyl (10-23-2017),Eggman (10-01-2017),MightyMirageMpg (10-01-2017),Ranny (10-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post

I did pull one of the trays out, sorry I didn't take any pics. There wasn't much to see, just a few rocks. I expected to be scraping a ton of mud from it but it was pretty clean. I haven't pulled the rocker trim off yet.
    I noticed a few cars are having the paint rubbed off in the rear wheel wells where the rubber brake hose rubs it. The hose has a piece of foam around it where it contacts the body. That's gonna need some attention before it's worn down to bare metal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-02-2017)

Just subscribing to this thread for future updates.

I haven't heard of any body rust on these cars yet.

A few owners of the competing Nissan Micra have had potentially serious rust forming on the outside/bottoms of their rocker panels where they get sandblasted by grit coming off the front tires. Insufficient rocker coating from the factory was the cause. If it gets to the point of perforation, the road grit/spray into the rocker cavity would spell disaster.

There was one Quebec-based review of the Mirage which put the car on a hoist and specifically looked at the car for potential future rust problems... I'll see if I can find it. Update: couldn't find it.

I tell anyone who lives in the rust belt: get your car treated with an corrosion inhibitor spray annually or semi-annually if you're planning to keep it. Or do it yourself:

Thread: This is where your Mirage is going to rust out. (Body/chassis corrosion)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My molding on roof are all moldy and look rotten... Thinking of replacing it but it is just plastic... just looks ugly