Thread: Has Anyone Been Using Turo?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Has Anyone Been Using Turo?

A couple months back, I received an email from my insurer about a service called Turo, upon which you can rent your vehicle to people when not in use. My guess is my insurer underwrites their service in Canada.

I've just been doing some cursory research, but I know there are some users here who do use the mirage as a fleet vehicle, so I am curious.

From my cursory research, a lot of people are putting 2-3 vehicles up on the site and making anywhere around $400-1100. Even on the low end there, that pays for insurance, depreciation and payments with some to spare with the mirage.

Might be a viable business opportunity. Does anyone have any experience?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spadesheart For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (02-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes. I do Turo and Lyft with my car. You can set your own price with Turo and it's a great way to make extra money. I rent mine for $40 a day. I also make $20 to pick them up at the airport and then I get dropped off at home. When they are done, they must return my car to my place. I recommend it.
    (blank signature)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-27-2017),Spadesheart (03-01-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Yes. I do Turo and Lyft with my car. You can set your own price with Turo and it's a great way to make extra money. I rent mine for $40 a day. I also make $20 to pick them up at the airport and then I get dropped off at home. When they are done, they must return my car to my place. I recommend it.
    do you think it's worth buying an extra car for? My friend and I are starting some real estate purchasing and something else that offers liquid income for diversity I think would be clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    do you think it's worth buying an extra car for? My friend and I are starting some real estate purchasing and something else that offers liquid income for diversity I think would be clever.
    This is a pretty old thread but I just realized that turo is beginning to be popular around here. I spoke to a guy who owns rent's his 2 Telsa's out on Turo and had nothing bad to say about it. He didn't say how much he made each month but rented out a 2018 model 3 for $100/day which is almost half of what the one other local guy with a model 3 on Turo is asking. I'm considering picking up a cheap newer car that is in good shape and giving it a try. I guess they only let vehicles 2006 or newer and under 200k kms(at least what I was told) be listed.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just remember that people will treat your Turo rental just like any other rental. I've seen a Turo-rented Tesla at an autocross with two drivers driving the heck out of it, and I know another guy who regularly autocrosses "interesting" Turo vehicles.

I've never used Turo as either a renter or a rentee, but everyone knows "the ultimate off-road vehicle his a rental car".

Limiting mileage does not limit how HARD those miles might be, and a car doesn't have to be visibly damaged to be "degraded".
    Simplify and add lightness.

Good points. That'd have to factored in as well. Would have to accept the fact that some people would beat the crap out of it. Maybe I'd be better of just getting a cvt Mirage then. I can't imagine much getting trashed other than the brakes unless someone is really out to kill a car.

Could always glue a dash cam in there and have a gps tracker I guess. But I'd almost not want to know where it's been. Even if you found out it was in a field doing donuts, you really can't prove any or how much damage was done.

I've only used a rental once years ago from Budget. It was a Freestar with bald tires, I didn't bag that thing at all. Was to worried the thing was gonna blow up and leave us stranded in the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter.

A guy could always install a dummy traction control off button and hide the real one behind the dash to try to keep some retards from killing the tires.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm way to ocd about my stuff to do that with my prized chariots. Lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-02-2019)