Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Mirage - le mons project race car

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Thank you for the longer explanation.

I don't understand how the zener is necessary whatsoever because it doesn't effectively "clamp" or alter the number of volts. But regardless i believe you that you did it, and the fact it worked.

With the mirage being drive by wire however I'm not sure this could happen, because it's comparing a to b with 2 potentiometers one on the pedal and one on the throttle body.
    If they don't match it kills the fun.

OP: have you considered pulling the back seatremoving the fuel pressure regulator (its connected to the fuel pump) and installing an adjustable rising rate regulator and slightly bigger injectors? It's cheap easily tuned and you could probably use the previously mentioned hobs/relay trick with another map signal
    I think I confused you. The example I posted is just an example of how I used a zener diode to send a certain voltage to the ECM. A map clamp does the same thing but it does it with the MAP sensor.

Here is how a zener diode works in a MAP clamp. Let's say the factory ECM uses 4.3 volts as zero intake pressure with the MAP sensor. You connect one side of the zener diode to the wire that goes to the ECM. The other side of the zener diode goes to the ground wire. In this way, with a 4.3 volt zener diode, the zener diode will regulate the voltage on the wire to 4.3 volts by allowing any voltage over 4.3 volts to dump to ground. Since the MAP sensor works with 5 volts max, it does not have to dump much voltage to maintain the volt rating of the zener diode. It does not cause a short and so it does not cause any excessive load on the ECM.

Last edited by 91cavgt; 03-24-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I think I confused you.

Here is how a zener diode works in a MAP clamp. Let's say the factory ECM uses 4.3 volts as zero intake pressure with the MAP sensor. You connect one side of the zener diode to the wire that goes to the ECM. The other side of the zener diode goes to the ground wire.
    Probably so. Electronic stuff is hard enough to learn let alone try and piece together half-drunk love notes on a message board. I don't believe you ever mentioned leaking it to ground which would indeed alter the signal and work as you described. (clamp the voltage)

Thank you sir i learned something today.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (03-24-2017),Eggman (03-24-2017)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Probably so. Electronic stuff is hard enough to learn let alone try and piece together half-drunk love notes on a message board. I don't believe you ever mentioned leaking it to ground which would indeed alter the signal and work as you described. (clamp the voltage)

Thank you sir i learned something today.
    No problem. It doesn't help any that my mind goes faster than my old fingers can type so........
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (03-24-2017)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.
    I ran into problems with the fifth injector controller malfunctioning and as no info was available on the unit I switched tack to a AEM piggyback Fuel/ignition controller,this should mean I can alter the amount of fuel I give the engine when on boost and should mean I get rid of the fifth injector altogether.Unfortunately I have missed the first 6hr race (today) as I am waiting on the AEM tech guys to get back to me with a firmware/software incompatible issue.The AEM has the ability to clamp the map signal but I will test my bleed off system before connecting it.
    It has been a very frustrating couple of weeks as the rest of the car is ready to go.
    On a different note I have cut the spring steel torsion bar out of a 2005 swift beam axle and will be fabricating new end plates to mount it within the mirage beam.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome job

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Hope you get it sorted out.

Any chance we can see a video of the car when it's done?

Quote Originally Posted by dmwdave View Post
    On a different note I have cut the spring steel torsion bar out of a 2005 swift beam axle and will be fabricating new end plates to mount it within the mirage beam.
    Please keep us posted on this - we've had a discussion going on stiffening the OEM axle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I'm assuming it blew up on start up?..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Curious, you mention "fifth injector" why do you need 5 injectors? You only need 1 for each cylinder, swap out injectors to another car/brand that flows more and you would be set.... according to some old posts 350z injectors fit, snag 3 and upgrade and you wont need to worry about fuel delivery much other than other parts of said system like fuel pump flow rates etc. And there are TONS of fuel pump upgrades to pick from I am sure you could find one to fit.....

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Turbo

The project stalled after i found out the aem fic i had wired up was not compatible with the hall effect crank and cam sensor.i have now bought the latest aem fic which is compatible and will be fitting it up next week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    What is an aem fic?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)