Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Thank you for the longer explanation.

I don't understand how the zener is necessary whatsoever because it doesn't effectively "clamp" or alter the number of volts. But regardless i believe you that you did it, and the fact it worked.

With the mirage being drive by wire however I'm not sure this could happen, because it's comparing a to b with 2 potentiometers one on the pedal and one on the throttle body.
    If they don't match it kills the fun.

OP: have you considered pulling the back seatremoving the fuel pressure regulator (its connected to the fuel pump) and installing an adjustable rising rate regulator and slightly bigger injectors? It's cheap easily tuned and you could probably use the previously mentioned hobs/relay trick with another map signal
    I think I confused you. The example I posted is just an example of how I used a zener diode to send a certain voltage to the ECM. A map clamp does the same thing but it does it with the MAP sensor.

Here is how a zener diode works in a MAP clamp. Let's say the factory ECM uses 4.3 volts as zero intake pressure with the MAP sensor. You connect one side of the zener diode to the wire that goes to the ECM. The other side of the zener diode goes to the ground wire. In this way, with a 4.3 volt zener diode, the zener diode will regulate the voltage on the wire to 4.3 volts by allowing any voltage over 4.3 volts to dump to ground. Since the MAP sensor works with 5 volts max, it does not have to dump much voltage to maintain the volt rating of the zener diode. It does not cause a short and so it does not cause any excessive load on the ECM.
    Last edited by 91cavgt; 03-24-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.