Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which oil to use

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Which oil to use

good day, just want to ask what can i use in our mirage? here in the Philippines the weather is hot.

i did try to visit the dealer casa and it will cost me alot. so i decided to visit shell gas station and have a quotation and wonderfully its a quarter of what i should pay for the mitsubishi casa.

now the question is, since our mirage indicates in the manual to use a 5w-40 shell only has a semi synthetic 5w-40 but offers instead of a 0w-40 full synth, and from my last 5k PMS i went to fully sinthetic. is it ok to use a 0w for topup or should i change the oil in full? and will the 0w-40 work fine with our engine in a tropical country like ours?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 17170
Size:  74.8 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 15545
Size:  73.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Either oil is fine. Here is a thread that discusses oil types used worldwide.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...il-Viscosities

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-18-2016),mitsumi (03-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Um, my mirage specifically states 0w20 right on the cap.... granted im in the USA, as a mechanic oil grades of visocsoty are based on engine tolerances not weather vs engine heat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to namco For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (03-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On that note, i use only real synthetics, royal purple, amsoil, rotella, etc. I stay away from cheap oil and brands who arent "full synthetic" even though the bottle says it is....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    Um, my mirage specifically states 0w20 right on the cap.... granted im in the USA, as a mechanic oil grades of visocsoty are based on engine tolerances not weather vs engine heat.
    The 3A92 has the same tolerances worldwide, in the USA & Canada 0w-20 is recommended for emissions purposes. The engine will reach peak operational temp faster which is the name of the game for emissions. Members that have installed the Kats cartridge heater have shown increased mileage on short trips. Mitsubishi designed the 3A92 to operate in varying conditions which is why worldwide oil specs vary greatly due to availability. As long as you're not trying to run straight 30w at -10 there's no harm in running 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30 etc...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    I think I might misunderstand this, as a lot of lubricant industry info I have read has made references to different viscosities according to temperature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Can't you just get a 5W-40 synthetic that's not Shell, though? Why does it have to be Shell?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think I might misunderstand this, as a lot of lubricant industry info I have read has made references to different viscosities according to temperature.
    You are right. But, engines are built with specific tolerances. For example my subaru is 5w30, period. If i ran 0w20, even though the heat range is nearly identical, it would eat that oil quicker than if i ran 5w30. Now lets say that subaru is now at 150k miles, all 150k being severe driving, running 5w30 you notice oil loss, putting 10w40 fixes the oil consumption and the motor still runs good. Mainly because the tolerances "new" have been worn down from severe engine use and thus those same gap spaces arent as tight as before. Many of todays cars are showing up with 0w20 standard not because "heat" but tolerances. A newer motor being machined and build tighter together required "thinner" "runnier" oil. You put a thicker oil in that doesnt reach operating temp as required and the engine wears out quicker.

As far as overseas vs usa, 0-20 heat wise is good for a broad range, but 0w20 is thinner than 5w30 and thinner still than 10w40....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I think you are missing an important point, that is that manufacturers are prescribing thinner oils for efficiency.

Not everyone buys an auto to wail the snot out of it - some of us want the investment to last.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think you are missing an important point, that is that manufacturers are prescribing thinner oils for efficiency.

Not everyone buys an auto to wail the snot out of it - some of us want the investment to last.
    Its not just for eco reasons. Sorry. Im telling you, tolerances within the motor are tighter than older motors. Good luck to whoever puts 5w30 or thicker oil in their mirage at low mileage. Ive seen a lot of complaints on oil consumption online and early engine wear. It dont matter what you use the car for the oil it requires it requires. The reason race cars use thicker oils is that they manufacture them to do so. My sti takes 5w30, i can have it rebuilt with looser tolerances and run 10w50. But you know more than me so wnjoy a toasted motor.