Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hill acceleration question. (Engine jerks & bogs down)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hill acceleration question. (Engine jerks & bogs down)

Hello! This is my first post here so I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question or not.

Scenario: You're slowing down on a flat road to turn onto a road that goes uphill. As you're turning you push the accelerater a little so you can start going up the hill. Then all of a sudden your engine bogs down real low and your Mirage jerks you, and then proceeds up the hill slowly accelerating no matter how far you have the accelerater pushed. Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal? Should I get my mirage checked out?

Specs: 2015 Mirage DE 1.2L CVT
    43,000 miles
    Regular oil changes
    I'm the original owner.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MetroMPG; 07-06-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Can't say that I've ever seen or experienced this - sorry. Have you tried shifting down to Ds?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have this scenario whenever I return to my house. The CVT is in a high ratio when you turn the corner and it doesn't respond quickly to the fact that you are now going up hill. The engine will be lugging, or it may suddenly shift the gear ratio. After hundreds of tries, I can usually find the right accelerator position to get it to shift to an appropriate ratio to go up the hill. Alternatively, you can shift to the other gear (Ds or B depending on your car) to get a lower gear ratio to start up the hill, and then shift back to Drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I use "B" all the time in situations like this then up-shift into "D" once I spool up some speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can you take a picture or draw a diagram on how steep this hill is? I turn onto several hills and never really have a hard jerk problem. Then again I have a hard foot and do downshift for more POWER, Jeremyclarkson.jpg
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have this with the 1.0 manual. It seems to happen if i have the airconditioning turned on, if the RPM is too low and i want to accelerate, nothing happens and everything bogs down. Also it sometimes dont want to rev very high with the airco on when in neutral. (maybe to 1500-2000 rpm max). The test car i drove before had the exact same thing so i assume its normal and just a lack of power.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Definitely want to turn the AC off if you are pulling a steep hill with these cars. That goes for manuals AND CVTs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Definitely want to turn the AC off if you are pulling a steep hill with these cars. That goes for manuals AND CVTs.
    +1

I only use the AC at cruising speeds.
    Accelerating with the AC on feels like I am dragging an anchor behind the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 5spd so I won't be much help other than to recommend a 5spd lol

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I have a 5spd so I won't be much help other than to recommend a 5spd lol
    That is the best answer! Haha! Yes, the manual is the only way to buy a car of this nature. I am looking into getting a 5 speed mirage within the next 4-6 months. I really like small cars, and this warranty is great. I hope it's a motor that can hang in there for 200-250,000 miles.