Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioner Transplant

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Air Conditioner Transplant

I bought a Mirage at a great price, but without A/C. I did not want any of the features I'd have to buy to get A/C, so it saved me about $5000, maybe $6000 (I managed to get mine brand new for $8995 with extra fees other than taxes. Models with A/C in Canada go for $13,998 before fees).

I want air conditioning, though. So, obviously, I have some budget to work with to figure out how to get it.

I believe I have two choices:

- Buy a universal A/C kit, like the $500 ones on eBay that are meant for vintage cars. I see no reason at all that this wouldn't work. But I think other than it being easy and guaranteed to work, it isn't the best option because the evaporator will take up space, and I would have no choice for fresh air, nor could it run in the winter to defog the windshield. But at least I won't melt in the summer.

- Find a wrecked Mirage that has A/C and pull the compressor, condenser, evaporator, drier/expansion valve, and all tubing, plus the fan and whatever mounting gear is required, and probably a body computer (would rather use ETACS to program mine if possible) and probably even a new set of controls.

I prefer the transplant method even though pulling off the dash will be a hell of a job.

Is it even possible? Do you think I'd find the wiring there? Or is this something where I'd even have to replace wiring harnesses along with the BCM? Because now we're getting a bit more serious than I want to go. Or do you think I can program ETACS and just connect stuff up? I'm handy with a soldering iron and I have no qualms about soldering wires to the control module if they're not run already.

What do you think I should do? I'm not scared of the work, I just don't want to waste money doing the almost impossible (anything is possible with enough time and money, but some stuff isn't worth the effort).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I think you would be the first. Take pictures!

Honestly, I would think you would want the AC to be better integrated than an aftermarket add-on. To get the Mitsubishi setup could be some very extensive work. Have you tried getting a quote from a dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nahhh, no dealer quote yet. I usually do my own work. And parts are triple the price in Canada, especially dealer parts... I imagine they'd want $2000 or more. And, from what I've read, the dealers figure it's impossible. But what do they know? They think you can't add cruise control to these things. :P I suppose it couldn't hurt for me to ask... but I'll have to brace myself for the answer.

Here's an example of an aftermarket A/C I was thinking about:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/A-C-KIT-UNIVE...ZYhjqo&vxp=mtr

But it just isn't going to be anywhere near as nice as a proper built in system. At least I have a manual transmission, which means I have a small radiator. Should be lots of room for the condenser if I do have to go aftermkarket. I wish I could find one of those without the evaporator or compressor. Just the basic climate controls. I am certain a stock compressor would fit just fine, and then I'd just use the A/C serpentine belt. And I bet the evaporator would slide in to the dash no problem. The real issue is getting the car's computer to control the compressor.

If I do it (more like when!) I will make a full writeup of it. Mitsu really should offer air conditioner as a dealer install option without having to buy all the other bells and whistles along with it. I hear in the US market you can't even buy the car without A/C, LOL.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Vintage Air makes some of the best retrofit kits for classic cars...but it's hard to imagine that one would fit in a Mirage. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing the compressor in a Mirage is small compared to a conventional compressor included with these aftermarket kits. And I'm wondering if most (or all) are designed for engines mounted traditionally with the accessory drives on the front of the engine where there's plenty of room.

Also keep this in mind... When you turn on the AC in a Mirage, it's like throwing a 300lb anchor out the back window and dragging it along the road. You really feel it when that compressor kicks on and robs that extra hp that is required to drive it. If you had the wrong compressor, it may really bog the engine down. You probably want the compressor designed for this tiny engine.

I'm thinking your best bet may be to find a totaled Mirage (with AC) in a junk yard and just buy the whole car for a few grand. Then you can try to pull everything and install it in your car. It sounds like a huge undertaking, and by the time you are done you may have $2,500 in parts and labor (including the trips to the dealer to program your various modules). Given how much trouble people have gone through just to get cruise control functioning, it could be a nightmare to get AC working.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    I hear in the US market you can't even buy the car without A/C, LOL.
    This is true. Even the base ES has it. But we also can't buy a new one for the equivalent of roughly US$7500!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think I'll visit a junkyard in a couple of weeks and see what they can do for me. Unfortunately, I don't have the space to store another car right now to pull apart, too many projects already!

I think you may be right, if I go with a universal kit the car is going to be hurting for power.

I think I might contact vintage air to get their opinion. Getting the hardware seems to be the easy part, controlling the compressor/temperature will be the hard part here. Perhaps vintage air has a control unit to add on that would turn the compressor on/off. That would solve all the problems and it would be almost all integrated (apart from the A/C button).
    Last edited by shepd; 03-01-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks service manual! I have all the data necessary to build my own controller for the A/C unit from page 55A-4.

High pressure cut off: 427 psi (4.3 Volts per 55A-18)
    High pressure cut in: 341 psi (3.2 Volts, same page)
    Low pressure cut off: 27 psi
    Low pressure cut in: 32 psi
    Temperature sensor at evaporator core cut off: 1 C
    Ignition IG2 must be on, as must be the blower switch, and (duh) A/C switch. Blower fan 9 volts or lower (55A-16).

I can build an arduino unit to handle that. Heck, I could probably use TTL logic, a relay, and a thermostat module...
    I can't wait to get my hands on the parts!
    Last edited by shepd; 03-01-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Is there a low pressure switch? I think this is a pretty good list of parts:

http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse....and-lines-scat

And I don't see a low pressure switch there. Just a high pressure switch (7815A137). Maybe it is built into the compressor? Would be really odd to have no low pressure switch.

Seems I will want to ask the junkyard for: AC Line /w high pressure switch, Suction Tube, Discharge Line, Compressor, Compressor mounting bracket, Condenser, Evap Core, Expansion Valve.

Hmmm... actually, I see the drier isn't listed there. I bet the low pressure switch is built into that. Should ask them for that, too, even though I'll need to buy a new drier. Plus pigtails for the various switches and compressor. And it couldn't hurt to get the evap temp sensor, too. Plus whatever bolts they can give me.

I'd have to get an O-Ring kit, too.

Have I missed anything? Any mounting parts for the lines?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Buy a wrecked donor something like thishttps://www.copart.com/lot/21654167

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Buy a wrecked donor something like thishttps://www.copart.com/lot/21654167
    Geez...not much left there except for the AC! Looks like every body panel is damaged on that thing! But a great donor car for a project like this!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)