Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Block heater melts brake line and causes fuel delivery issues?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Block heater melts brake line and causes fuel delivery issues?

This is a strange one. I went into the garage this morning and something smelled burnt/melted. Unplugged the block heater, started the engine and as soon as i let go of the key, the engine stops. This happened a few times. Felt the block heater with my hand and the plug cord is hot to the touch. Only way the engine stays on is if i give throttle. Took it around the block and the brakes are out. Get back home and there is a spot of melted silver metal about 4 inches in diameter in the garage. I was running late for work so I took the other car. Any ideas what going on??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Strange. Any pictures?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed a block heater and it started smoking. I thought it was burning something on my car, but it seemed the heater itself was smoking. To find out if the heater was smoking, It laid it on my driveway and plugged it in. When I checked on it later the metal casing melted into a pool.

The instructions say to never run it outside of the engine. Yours may have popped loose and couldn't transfer the heat well enough to the engine and melted. I don't know it ours were defective or it will actually melt if not in contact with the engine block which seems odd.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Isn't that what the grease is for - for thermal transfer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (03-03-2017),poorman1 (03-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most important question..

What brand block heater?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My guess: Block heater is missing so there's a (temporary) hole in your engine. As for the engine not running well, complete wild guess, but perhaps the block heater melted a big hole in your intake after the butterfly valve. With no vacuum the engine will run poorly and not idle properly at all, but will run (sort of) at near wide open throttle, since at that the engine will be receiving enough gas to turn over properly.

With no vacuum, the brake booster will not function, which means you lose power brakes. Braking with no booster does feel a lot like no brakes at all. I bet if you push with all your might the brakes will work... poorly.

That's my guess. You will definitely be looking at flushing the cooling system if any of that mess ended up in there, you'll want to refill it, and you will want to inspect the intake manifold for damage and possibly replace it. But that's a total guess. Don't do any of that work until you've had a good look.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-03-2017),Eggman (03-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with shepd's diagnosis. I had to remove, slightly bend, and reinstall the tang on my block heater so that it would have good enough tension to hold the block heater in the hole. Otherwise it would easily pull back out and hit against the plastic intake manifold.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys got it. It melted a hole through the intake manifold. I suspect that it came out and melted as roscoe suggested. ANd due to the hole in the manifold, there's an air leak causing engine to not idle and there's no pressure for brakes.

The block heater I used was the kats cartridge heater. I did use bake grease when I installed it, but it must have slipped out which caused the meltdown.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 47.1 mpg (US) ... 20.0 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theforerunner343 View Post
    You guys got it. It melted a hole through the intake manifold. I suspect that it came out and melted as roscoe suggested. ANd due to the hole in the manifold, there's an air leak causing engine to not idle and there's no pressure for brakes.

The block heater I used was the kats cartridge heater. I did use bake grease when I installed it, but it must have slipped out which caused the meltdown.
    If you cold provide pictures and links to the products used, that would be helpful. I'm particularly interested in the grease used, and it's temperature rating.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anyone know if the 17 mirage uses the same intake manifold as the 14/15? I found a 17 intake manifold for $200 less than I could find for the 14/15.