Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mitsubishi Eclipse returning in 2018. It's not what you think: "Eclipse Cross"

New Mitsubishi Eclipse returning in 2018. It's not what you think: "Eclipse Cross"

Name:  mitsubishi-eclipse-cross-1-2-970x647-c.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  47.0 KB

This is the next new addition to Mitsubishi's line up: the 2018 "Eclipse Cross."

It's supposed to slot between the Outlander and the Outlander Sport (a.k.a. RVR in Canada & some other countries).

Hopefully, some of the people who would have bought Lancers will buy one of these, because production of that car ends in August this year. That means the Mirage G4 will be the only Mitsu sedan available. Talk about holes in your product portfolio!

Name:  mitsubishi-eclipse-cross-4-970x647-c.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  84.4 KB

Company press release:

February 28, 2017

CYPRESS, Calif., – Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) is to debut its new Eclipse Cross compact SUV to the world at the 87th Geneva International Motor Show*1 to be held in Geneva from March 7 through March 19. The Eclipse Cross is a globally strategic model that will be shipped first to Europe in the fall this year, and then rolled out in Japan, North America, Australia and other regions.

The Eclipse Cross all-new compact SUV coupe will join MMC's global lineup of crossover SUVs: the ASX*2 compact SUV and the Outlander and Outlander PHEV mid-size SUVs.

The Eclipse Cross is a fusion of sharp coupe looks and dynamic SUV mobility with signature Mitsubishi styling and performance.

Other distinguishing features are its design that motivates the driver to get out and go, connectivity that inspires new fun adventures, and all-wheel control technology which delivers an enjoyable, reassuring feel that elevates the driving experience.

*1: Le 87e Salon international de l'automobile Genève, with Press Days from March 7 through 8 and General Public days from March 9 through March 19. MMC will hold its Press Conference at 11:15 am on March 7 at the MMC booth in Hall 2.
    *2: RVR in Japan/Outlander Sport in the U.S. and some other markets

Eclipse Cross:
    Product Overview

1. Characteristic Dynamic Design

The distinctly sharp and dynamic Mitsubishi SUV coupe form is distinguished by: its wedge profile with distinctive beltline and strong character line; a forward raked rear window; the sharply cut off rear gate and short overhang; and beefy fenders projecting the image of a powerful athlete.

MMC's DYNAMIC SHIELD front design concept refers to the protective shield shape visually formed by the black central area represented by a black radiator grille that symbolizes the performance of the car. The black area is embraced from three directions – from the left, right, and bottom. DYNAMIC SHIELD emphasizes the front end's functionalities aimed at protecting both people and the car itself.

The "Dynamic and Characteristic" rear design is distinguished by the almost cubist styling created around the high-mounted, stretched rear lamps and by how it horizontally divides the forward-rake rear window into two. When illuminated, the tubular LED brake lights and the central LED hi-mount stop light form a single bar of light running across the tail, giving Eclipse Cross a broad and stable appearance from the rear.

A new red body color joins the palette. The standard coating is layered with semi-transparent red and clear coating, and this creates a high color saturation and intensity that produces a highly-refined finish.

The horizontal dashboard, silver metal frames and black/silver monotone color scheme create a refined interior that is both dynamic and sporty. With its thin display audio and the Head Up Display, the futuristic cockpit inspires a sense of excitement for the driver in the vehicle.

Maximizing luggage space utility without spoiling its stylish coupe-SUV shape, the rear seat uses a 60:40 split with long slide-and-recline adjustment. In addition to providing rear occupants with plenty of legroom, this also allows them to settle on their favorite seating posture and enjoy long trips with ample headroom despite a roof that slopes down toward the rear.

2. Connectivity inspires new fun adventures

The Eclipse Cross is fitted with the Smartphone Link Display Audio system, a Touchpad Controller and Head Up Display which allow the driver to handle and interpret different types of information more easily and safely.

Smartphone Link Display Audio supports Apple CarPlay*3, the smarter, safer way to use your iPhone*3 in the car. The driver can use Siri*4 or the Smartphone Link Display Audio's touch screen to get directions optimized for traffic conditions, make and receive calls, access text messages, and listen to music, all in a way that allows them to stay focused on the road. Smartphone Link Display Audio also supports the Android AutoTM*4 which provides voice controlled operation of Google MapsTM,*4 Google PlayTM*4 music and other apps. The Touchpad Controller can operate audio functions like radio, as well as Apple CarPlay.

Placing the Touchpad Controller in the center console allows the driver to operate the Smartphone Link Display Audio easily and without having to change position.

The Head Up Display unit makes driving safer by presenting vehicle speed, data from the active safety systems and other necessary information that minimizes eye movement and provides instant readability.

*3: Apple CarPlay, iPhone, and Siri are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the United States and other countries.
    *4: Android Auto, Google Maps, and Google Play are trademarks or registered trademarks of Google Inc.

3. Enjoyable and stable driving with all-wheel control technology

Eclipse Cross uses an electronically-controlled 4WD system that feeds the optimum amount of torque to the rear wheels as required by the driving situation and surface conditions. MMC's Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) integrated vehicle dynamics control system incorporates brake-activated AYC*5.

The addition of a 3-point strut tower brace at the front and the strategic use of structural bonding at the rear in particular have increased body rigidity. The tougher body and detail optimization of the suspension offer precise handling and superior vehicle stability.

The Eclipse Cross will be available in the United States with a new 1.5L direct-injection turbocharged gasoline engine that is mated to a new CVT with 8-speed Sport Mode manual override.

*5: Active Yaw Control system manages the torque feed and brake force at individual rear wheels to help the vehicle behave as the driver intends, using information on steering angle, yaw rate, drive torque, brake force and wheel speed to accurately determine driver operation and vehicle behavior.

Eclipse Cross
    specifications (display cars)
    L x W x H (mm) 4405 x 1805 x 1685
    Wheelbase (mm) 2670
    Track F/R (mm) 1545 / 1545
    Engine & transmission 1.5L direct-injection turbo gasoline / CVT
    Drive mode Electronically-controlled 4WD

MMC has set up a special web site at the following URLs to provide a variety of information about its exhibits in English at the Geneva Motor Show 2017: A video of the press conference will also be available.
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/.../2017/gms2017/
    http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...otor-show-2017

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I cant wait until it comes out!!! I am going to trade my wife's 2014 out lander sport for one of these bad boys!!! I cant wait until the mirage starts coming out with the new 1.1 liter turbocharger engine!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to axeldsm1 For This Useful Post:

debburyl (10-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    In 2017, CUV profits > sedan profits. As with all things, this too will change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Sooo...this is basically a 4/5ths size Outlander or a 5/4ths size Outlander Sport? Snoooooooooze......

They had me kinda excited when I heard the Eclipse was coming back. Seeing it as another blase crossover is kind of a kick in the balls.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-02-2017)

First deliveries

On sale in Europe now:

Mitsubishi Motors begins shipment of New Eclipse Cross SUV to Europe

Tokyo, October 3, 2017 – Mitsubishi Motors Corporation today began the shipment of the all-new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross compact SUV to Europe.

The new model will be available in approximately 80 markets worldwide including Canada, the United States, Australia and Japan.

The launch of the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross will involve the shipment of 50,000 units during the current fiscal year (ending March 31st, 2018), with the new model coming to Canada in 2018.

Produced at Mitsubishi Motors’ Okazaki Plant near Nagoya, Japan, the Eclipse Cross complements the Corporation’s SUV lineup which currently comprises the Mitsubishi RVR, Mitsubishi Outlander and its techno-flagship, the Outlander PHEV which arrives in Canadian showrooms this December.
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/c...-suv-to-europe

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think Mitsu did a great job with the styling of the Eclipse Cross. The rear is controversial, but if nothing else, it's distinctive! In 2018 I'll be looking to trade my Mirage in for an Outlander or Outlander Sport. I likely will not consider the Eclipse Cross. The 2 Outlander models have proven themselves to be reliable. The Eclipse Cross, from my understanding, will have a turbo direct injected engine. Both having turbo components and direct inject each add problems and complications I'm not interested in dealing with as the vehicle ages. I'd prefer the older, proven tech, even if it means have a less cutting edge vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So the Eclipse Cross gets a six speed manual transmission - hmm.

Sure would be cool if the Mirage got one too.

I doubt it'll happen considering the target market and profit margin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It looks promising!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Couldn't they have come up with a better name? Eclipse Cross is terrible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (10-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree! Maybe Mitsubishi doesn't want to deal with coming up with new model names for legal reasons. I'm thinking of Mitsubishi's partnership with Chrysler and the Lancer.