Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Mitsubishi Eclipse returning in 2018. It's not what you think: "Eclipse Cross"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I always thought that was more of an automotive journalist complaint than a consumer one. Hell, Pontiac didn't sell enough Azteks two decades ago for any regular person to make the comparison, and with the popularity of 'Breaking Bad' it might have even been a plus. Other cars use that same sort of horizontally-split rear end...the old CRX and later Prius being among them. I think the recent Honda CR-Z may have used that layout as well?

Nobody was b!tching about the "Aztek Ass" on those cars. The '22 redesign looks fine. Honestly, it looks like they just redesigned the rear hatch to make it harder to see out of. But I hate it when journalists whine about all utility vehicles looking generic, then turn around and whine even louder when a company does something a little different.

Personally, I doubt this move will help sales much. Mitsubishi needs to start opening lots and lots of piggyback dealerships at already extant Nissan dealerships. How much can some signage, a few Mitsubishi techs, and a dozen or so cars on the lot cost? Multiply that by the number of Nissan dealerships and Mitsubishi can get back in the game.

It isn't the Eclipse Cross itself. The reviews are actually pretty good on it, for the most part. I can mostly sum them up by saying, "The Eclipse Cross is fine. It isn't a CR-V or RAV4, but you aren't paying Honda or Toyota money for it, either. Oh, and it has a great warranty."

It is finding out the Eclipse Cross exists and then having to go on a minor quest to buy one that are the main reasons for low sales.
    I agree with much of what Cobrajet has said. Wedging a SUV between the Outlander & Outlander Sport didn't seem like the best move to me? Especially when a company only offers a few models to begin with. The Eclipse Cross isn't unique enough to draw new customers into Mitsubishi dealerships. It may have taken some sales from the Outlander & Outlander Sport, but what does that accomplish?

The fact remains - Outlander is #1 & Eclipse Cross #2 for spending the most time on dealership lots. People aren't flocking to the few limited dealerships for these vehicles.

Outlander Sports are the most popular model that I see in my area, but the nearest dealership is 65 miles away. Then again, the Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai, KIA dealerships are also that distance away. That's why Sparks are more common. Chevy dealerships are everywhere.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree with much of what Cobrajet has said. Wedging a SUV between the Outlander & Outlander Sport didn't seem like the best move to me? Especially when a company only offers a few models to begin with. The Eclipse Cross isn't unique enough to draw new customers into Mitsubishi dealerships. It may have taken some sales from the Outlander & Outlander Sport, but what does that accomplish?

The fact remains - Outlander is #1 & Eclipse Cross #2 for spending the most time on dealership lots. People aren't flocking to the few limited dealerships for these vehicles.

Outlander Sports are the most popular model that I see in my area, but the nearest dealership is 65 miles away. Then again, the Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai, KIA dealerships are also that distance away. That's why Sparks are more common. Chevy dealerships are everywhere.
    To me the Outlander Sport is a sensible choice, decent mpg, proven engine, not a lot of data on premature JATCO CVT8 failure being prevalent with the Sport, awesome Mitsubishi AWC, great looking front grill, often 5 to 7k dollars cheaper. Is it me or is Mitsubishi design teams more edgy and futuristic than other Japanese brands?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    To me the Outlander Sport is a sensible choice, decent mpg, proven engine, not a lot of data on premature JATCO CVT8 failure being prevalent with the Sport, awesome Mitsubishi AWC, great looking front grill, often 5 to 7k dollars cheaper. Is it me or is Mitsubishi design teams more edgy and futuristic than other Japanese brands?
    I've seen several Outlander Sports with dead CVT's. They suffer the same issues the Mirage does... crappy owners that don't do any maintenance. I've driven the Outlander Sports with the CVT (my personal one is a stick, though) and they're okay. Was going to actually buy one but came to my senses after a dealer really pissed me off and bought the used Mirage instead.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...