Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage PHEV/Electric?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage PHEV/Electric?

I saw this article and it mentioned something I thought about for a while: A Mirage variant with a PHEV! Though I really thought about is a fully electric one:
    https://carbuzz.com/news/mitsubishis...-easy-solution

What I like about the Mirage is it's fuel efficiency. It is still the most fuel efficient non-hybrid in the U.S., so I am surprised the article says,

" The Mitsubishi Outlander midsize SUV has been Europe's best-selling PHEV. Plans have already been set for a redesigned Outlander to go on sale in Europe later this year.

Despite the Outlander's success, the only other popular vehicle Mitsubishi sells in Europe is the Mirage subcompact hatchback. However, its design and engine technology date back to 2012 and future fuel emissions regulations threaten its existence."
    Though that is for the European market, where regulations are more stringent. That said, it would be ironic that such a fuel efficient car would be cut because it doesn't meet regulations, when many more gas non-hybrids appear much worse on emissions, like in the U.S. I am not sure why the best CVT from the Mirages' 2014-Present is considered dated (i don't think it had three cylinders in the 2012 engine).

An electric Mirage would compete with a Mini-E Cooper.
    I think the price point wont make sense since many more are buying the Mirage for price and cost of maintenance. But eventually, having a car without oil changes could become less costly to maintain, when the cost of the battery becomes less than the cumulative cost of oil changes and oil maintenance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to highwire For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-03-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post

An electric Mirage would compete with a Mini-E Cooper.
    I think the price point wont make sense since many more are buying the Mirage for price and cost of maintenance. But eventually, having a car without oil changes could become less costly to maintain, when the cost of the battery becomes less than the cumulative cost of oil changes and oil maintenance.
    An e-Mirage makes sense for sure. Not sure if it's gonna ever happen. Just as the article states, the Mirage's design is basically old... 2011/12, which is eon's in the automotive world. Also, I'm not sure Mitsubishi has any money at this point in 2020.

I think if an eMirage happens, it's gonna be a rebadged Renault.

Anyways you gotta love Mitsubishi's radical concept vehicles. They are the craziest in the industry as far as I can tell. Pretty avant garde stuff, for a normally stalwart, conservatively-styled car brand.

Name:  new outlander.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  72.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    An electric Mirage would be awesome. I don't hate the imiev, but it is horribly ugly haha. That being said I would drive one.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I haven't ever seen an imiev on the road.. but I have seen them in real life at the local Mitsu dealer. Looks about the size of a golf cart. Would make a real curiosity for people in the parking lot at walmart.

To me, a Nissan Leaf or even a Prius seems like the most sensible electric or half hybrid vehicle. They all seem expensive and I'm not sure about distances in real life eMPGs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I took an iMiev for a test drive. It drove like a normal car, without the noise.

From inside the passenger compartment I wasn't bothered by how the car looked to other people. On the other hand, I drive a Mirage so there's that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Almost bought an i-Miev before I got my first Mirage. The cost of the replacement battery pack put an end to that... along with Illinois being stupid and raising the plate fee for an electric car an insane amount.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Almost bought an i-Miev before I got my first Mirage.
    The cost of the replacement battery pack put an end to that...
    I've seen prices between $10,000-$15,000 for an i-Miev replacement battery?!? Is that right?

So a new battery costs more than the purchase price of these used i-Mievs?

Name:  i_Miev.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  44.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I've seen prices between $10,000-$15,000 for an i-Miev replacement battery?!? Is that right?
    Maybe the batteries last a very, very long time. Not even meant to be replaced. I'm not sure.

Those used ones you posted are practically new... with such low miles on them. I will stick with a traditional powertrain in my Mirage for now. I might look at used Nissan Leafs one day. With electric motors, it's cool you can make practically any classic car into a road-worthy e-car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's getting me thinking- there are standard batteries for small appliances AAA, AA, D. Why don't car makers use a single standard, with varying battery sizes- each interoperable?

To standardize a car battery across makes would allow more automakers to focus on their own cars' features and not make the battery itself so precious and overpriced. Kind of like how the EU mandates a standard USB charger since so many phone makers advertise their chargers like a 3 star Michelin restaurant menu.

This would allow automakers to not compete on battery exclusivity, while being able to compete on enhancing backwards compatibility with newer generational batteries and lower the cost for consumers who want to buy an electric car. That said, I do not know if automakers would do that since they might fear losing customers who might take their battery with them.

Lots of car makers band together for certain standards, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAdeMO, so I don't see why batteries must be very different, especially for cars that do not require any special acceleration energy boost.

To compare acceleration to a capacitor, a capacitor is designed to provide a strong amount of current in a short amount of time. Capacitors need not be exclusive to a product or technology. When a car accelerates, it might require a certain draw of electricity that is different than another car, based on it's efficiency designs, whether to use more or less torque as designed. Therefore, I wonder, if a standard platform for batteries were made available, the acceleration profile might follow more similar profiles, and the cars might feel the "same." Thoughts?
    Last edited by highwire; 06-06-2020 at 03:10 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

So a new battery costs more than the purchase price of these used i-Mievs?

Name:  i_Miev.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  44.7 KB
    Yeah I was told the PART alone was almost $14,000 USD. I mean... what the hell? I'm not sure if that's still the case but it might be!

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-06-2020)