Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTAC 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage GT review: Frugal Meets Frivolous

TTAC 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage GT review: Frugal Meets Frivolous

Name:  ttac-gt.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  65.2 KB

TTAC gives a surprisingly grounded review of the car. A breath of fresh air, following a run of almost hysterical recent reviews of the car from some other "enthusiast" sites.

I don't think anybody would disagree with the reviewer's opening point, that being:

At full MSRP, it's pretty hard to make a case for the GT (the reviewer calls it "a joke"). But in base 5-speed form, the car is a compelling proposition.

Overall:

... it’s a good car for the right person. [...] For someone needing a reliable, efficient commuter on a budget, with the assurance of a 10-year powertrain warranty, the base Mirage is hard to beat.

[...]

Cheap and cheerful is a heritage to which Mitsubishi can subscribe.... the Mirage can rightfully claim a place as another good car from a storied marque.
    Read the full review (sure to generate interesting commentary from the "best & brightest"):

2017 Mitsubishi Mirage GT Review – Frugal Meets Frivolous

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Johnny Mullet (03-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    TTAC gave the car a fair review? I'm speechless.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I will admit the balanced take on it caught me by surprise. Several other writers at TTAC seem to gleefully rag on the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    At the current price level, just build your own GT...

Buy an ES 5-speed with rebates, bolt on your own aftermarket 15" wheels/tires, and spend $1500 on some quality car audio. This is what I did and it's working out just fine.

Interesting note about the author of that article. If you read the comments, he's not a small individual...

I’m not small. 6’4″, 33″ inseam, 260 pounds or so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To make an SE to a GT,

You just need to 15" OEM Wheel and Tire and somehow swap the connect the HID Headlight.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    To make an SE to a GT,

You just need to 15" OEM Wheel and Tire and somehow swap the connect the HID Headlight.
    And add seat heaters also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    And add seat heaters also.
    Yep, that's Grand Touring alright.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-04-2017 at 02:17 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I started reading the article and saw how neutral it was, I checked the author and wasn't surprised that it was not Tim Caine. He isn't a fan of the Mirage.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    15" wheels, fog lamps, and a manual with a stock ES makes a better GT in my opinion. This is what I am striving for on mine. If I ever see a GT in a boneyard, you bet all the piano black trim is coming with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    When I started reading the article and saw how neutral it was, I checked the author and wasn't surprised that it was not Tim Caine. He isn't a fan of the Mirage.
    Neither is editor Mark Stephenson.