Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Buy Costco Tires?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Anyone Buy Costco Tires?

So I was thinking of changing tires at Costco as they have a promotion on right now, and 4 175 tires essentially cost 470 CAD with installation and everything. They're a Pirelli model with 97% approval apparently. While this price doesn't seem particularly exceptional, what did catch my eyes was the whopping 165000 km warranty on them, as well as free nitrogen refill, free puncture fix, and a few less important goodies. As I change winter tires for a significant portion of the year, this would mean that I would essentially be good for tires for likely as long as the car can run.

I have always bought used tires, for 25-40 a tire installed, but honestly they wear out at the most at 40000 km, and I've definitely had some punctures that I've had to fix for around 15-20. Scaling it out, so long as Costco is easy to deal with, this is Just as expensive in the long run with a lot less hassle. Currently one of my rear stock tires popped right before I put on the winter tires so I'm going to have to get at least two new ones, and you really cant find the matching 165 tires anywhere at a decent price. They do have an equivalent Michelin set that is 270 CAD for 2, but i don't think I can mix 165 and 175 tires.

Has anybody had any experience with buying and installing tires at Costco? Does this seem worth it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Has anybody had any experience with buying and installing tires at Costco? Does this seem worth it?
    That sounds like a good deal. I considered buying a set from Costco but they didn't carry the model I was interested in. The warranty coverage (treadwear rating? & puncture repair) sounds like a great perk that would be hard to beat.

Do you have a link to the particular model Pirelli tire you are looking at?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What "makes thre deal" is that insane 165k warranty. That's 100,000 miles! are they made of stone? Lol

I would further investigate the warranty before you buy based on it, but otherwise that does sound like a pretty good deal

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Must be a hard compound.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-06-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling. Stupid autocorrect...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I would further investigate the warranty...
    Check out the fine print of the warranty. There's probably no real tricks in it, just a specific list of things you have to do to maintain the warranty coverage.

• You'll have to rotate the tires according to Costco's schedule.
    • Costco may have to do the rotations. Skip a rotation and it may void the treadwear coverage.
    • You may have to maintain a Costco membership for the duration of the warranty.
    • Tires worn due to bad alignment, improper inflation or worn shocks/struts will void the treadwear warranty.
    • The warranty is likely prorated. If the tires are warranted for 100,000 km and they wear out in 80,000 km, your warranty will be prorated for 20% of the cost of new tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I tried to find the perelli's on the costco site but it wasn't showing up.

Also I'm pretty sure the tire rotations are free as well, and to my benefit honestly, but I will look into it.

It is more than I want to pay right now, but it really would save me a lot of time in the long run.

The tire in the back popped... I hope that's not an indication of the issue that a lot of people are having back there...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    The tire in the back popped... I hope that's not an indication of the issue that a lot of people are having back there...
    Have you gotten your alignment checked? I was able to get a free alignment check at my local NTB. Hopefully you can find a shop to check yours. You would want to address that before putting expensive tires on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-07-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A couple corrections:

I found the sheet the employee did the quotes for me on

The actual total was in fact less at 422.80 installed and tax in

The warranty was a little less though at 145000 km, still significant.

The 470 figure was for the equivalent Michelin tires.

The tires are Pirelli P4 FS Plus

I'm going to have to look for a person to do a free alignment check... My regular mechanic is just a guy that does it from home in his spare time so his rates are really low, but he couldn't give me a print out i imagine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ask Costco for an alignment check?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ask Costco for an alignment check?
    I just called to ask if they would but they haven't gotten back to me yet; wasn't able to get back to the actual tire center. Sigh