Thread: 2017 Mirage no start/s

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2017 Mirage no start/s

Yesterday I got a call from a store saying their one Mirage runs rough and won't rev up. The car has maybe 2000kms on it. I get out there and the car won't even turn over. Starter doesn't click, it won't shift out of park. I unhooked the battery for a bit hoping that might reset whatever is going on with no success. Since its only a few weeks old I called roadside assistance to let the dealer deal with it. They called back later in the day to say it's a defective relay and they won't have the part until Thursday. They wouldn't say which relay it was.

Well, now this morning I get a call from a different store 100k away, that also has a car that was purchased at the same time as the previous car. They are having the exact same problem. Car started ran rough wouldn't rev up. Someone else went to try and start it and it won't turn over now.

I checked on the third car we bought at the same time and it started and seems to be running fine. Thankfully.

This is the first problem I've seen with these cars and they are the newest ones in the fleet. It is -20c/-4f out but everything else starts fine and these are all plugged at night. At least they are supposed to be plugged in...

I'll post back when I get more info from the dealer. Hopefully they will let me know what the hell relay is acting up so we don't have to be down a car next time this happens.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 837 Posts
    Haven't heard anything about this type of problem around here lately.

Please let us know what you find out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's a first for me. At work I rarely (maybe once a month in the winter) have a driver in one of the 2015's not starting and I tell them to hold the throttle to the floor while cranking and it always fires up.
    I just picked up the first car that went to the dealer minutes ago. They replaced the throttle control servo relay and the starter relay. All is good now. There was a code stored for the TAC motor. Strange though 2 cars in 2 days. I'll post back what was wrong with the second car when I get it back. I assume they'll do the same for it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-10-2017),Eggman (03-10-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't necessarily see it as strange that 2 brand new cars would have the same problem: Bad batch of components go into a series of cars on the assembly line.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-17-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And just for the hell of it I brought it inside and load tested the battery. It's only showing 340cca. I think I might be taking this car right back to the dealer.

Edit; I guess 340 might be within spec. The battery had no specs on it anywhere and I just assumed it should have been atleast 500cca. But now I'm seeing 55d23l batteries online ranging from 360-510cca.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-10-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't necessarily see it as strange that 2 brand new cars would have the same problem: Bad batch of components go into a series of cars on the assembly line.
    Very true but we have over 20 of these cars and unless they changed the relays in someway along production....I'm really thinking the battery's might just be weak and causing this issue in the cold. Cold weather can wreak havoc. I used to have a suzuki quad that would crank over fine but the ecm wasn't getting enough power to run the engine. It would start if you used the pull cord but not if you used the electric start. Battery was weak.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got the second car back finally. They just changed the starter relay in this one. I made them clear the check engine light before I left the parking lot though. The service department at the mitsu dealer near me sucks. They had the car for over a week and it's been ready since tuesday. And when I pick it up the cel is on wth.
    But the car is running good again and hopefully shouldn't have to see the dealer again anytime soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-16-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting about this.