Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Once again I didnt get a Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    I care. And that is impressive for a 4 cylinder car. Is that mileage calculated at fillup, average from the computer or just a computer reading from a given trip. IMO, most accurate is mileage calculated at fillup time - miles driven / gallons filled. Mirage is good, but little things, like tire pressure or AC use seem to affect mileage a lot.
    Thanks Ranny! I appreciate your comment.
    The mpg I posted was calculated by the car (avg mpg) since new. I will calculate the next tankful manually by miles vs gallons to authenticate the cars mpg. The 44.4 figure is the average over the life of the car (about 3500 miles of mixed driving)
    I love getting good fuel economy. The average Mirage certainly has me beat in this area but my car mpg is still going up!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got 65K on my 2014 Mirage and when I hit 100K it goes to my wife and I'm getting a new car. I'm leaning towards the Yaris because I think the cost of long term ownership is significantly less than the Mirage. Mainly due to the lack of aftermarket parts for the Mirage. Also if you had to replace an engine or transmission I'm guessing you can get a used Yaris engine for a lot less than a used Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    You should post these updates on the IA forum. Not sure how much people care on here.
    I have a new Tundra too and post about it on......The TUNDRA forum haha.
    The difference is that that the Yaris is very similar to the Mirage. I'm guessing that many people here had to decide between the two.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (06-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Yaris because I think the cost of long term ownership is significantly less than the Mirage. Mainly due to the lack of aftermarket parts for the Mirage. Also if you had to replace an engine or transmission I'm guessing you can get a used Yaris engine for a lot less than a used Mirage.
    Help me understand because this doesn't make sense to me.

1. If you are worried about total cost of ownership, why be concerned about aftermarket parts? Most of the common wear items are available and are priced inline with other similar vehicles.

When I hear the word 'aftermarket' I think about what is usually passed around as 'upgrades.' In that case yes the selection is thin, but not necessary to keep a Mirage on the road.

2. A forum member (Rkt Ship, if I remember correctly) replaced his entire engine. He reported the replacement cost $300. I'm not sure what price range you are expecting but $300 for a complete running engine sounds pretty affordable to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Help me understand because this doesn't make sense to me.

1. If you are worried about total cost of ownership, why be concerned about aftermarket parts? Most of the common wear items are available and are priced inline with other similar vehicles.

When I hear the word 'aftermarket' I think about what is usually passed around as 'upgrades.' In that case yes the selection is thin, but not necessary to keep a Mirage on the road.

2. A forum member (Rkt Ship, if I remember correctly) replaced his entire engine. He reported the replacement cost $300. I'm not sure what price range you are expecting but $300 for a complete running engine sounds pretty affordable to me.
    You could be right, but I'm about to spend $500 on Mitsubishi shocks. If previous examples are accurate (tires, brakes) I'll be spending at least double the amount for half the life.

If I can get a used engine for $300 and shocks are the only part I get screwed on until I hit 200k, then you're right. I'm just nervous because the tires and brakes were close calls and I finally ran out of luck with the shocks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    You could be right, but I'm about to spend $500 on Mitsubishi shocks.
    That stinks. I hope it at least includes installation.

I'm curious:
    1. I'm sure warranty coverage was discussed. It's not covered under warranty since you gotta pay - right?
    2. Since it's not covered under warranty, is this work being done by yourself, a dealer, or an independent suspension shop?
    3. Did you check any wrecks in junkyards for usable parts?

I should check my local shops to see who does suspension work and if they know of any alternatives we can use.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That stinks. I hope it at least includes installation.

I'm curious:
    1. I'm sure warranty coverage was discussed. It's not covered under warranty since you gotta pay - right?
    2. Since it's not covered under warranty, is this work being done by yourself, a dealer, or an independent suspension shop?
    3. Did you check any wrecks in junkyards for usable parts?

I should check my local shops to see who does suspension work and if they know of any alternatives we can use.
    I just called my local Mitsu shop. It's $1250 parts and labor for rear shocks and front struts!

The $500 is for the parts from an online dealer that sells OEM mitsu parts.

I feel a little better about the engine and transmission though. I checked ebay and they seem to have a lot of used Mirage engine and transmissions for the same as a Yaris.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-31-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My hope is that my Yaris iA wont need anything for a long long while....better to never have to replace anything in my opinion. Although I do get bored with cars and generally trade in 1-3 years, which isnt the smartest thing to do financially.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just called my local Mitsu shop. It's $1250 parts and labor for rear shocks and front struts!

The $500 is for the parts from an online dealer that sells OEM mitsu parts.

I feel a little better about the engine and transmission though. I checked ebay and they seem to have a lot of used Mirage engine and transmissions for the same as a Yaris.
    $1250 wow!!!!!!!

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wait. $300 for an engine? But I'm assuming there were labor costs involved?

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire