Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major problems with UltraGuage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Major problems with UltraGuage

Picked up my new Mirage yesterday. Everything was perfect until I plugged in my new Ultra Guage last night. The car went crazy the minute I plugged it in. Started running very roughly, check engine light came on, etc... Seemed OK when I unplugged it.

This morning went for a ride in the new car without the guage. Seems OK. I just tried plugging the guage in again and the car went even more crazy. It wouldn't go past about 15 mph and the tranny was revving up. I pulled over and shut the car off and unplugged the damn thing and the car was perfectly fine. This scares the crap out of me. This is a brand new friggin car.

Three questions...
    1) Is is even possible I am plugging this guage wrong?
    2) could the guage be defective
    3) most importantly, did I screw up my car?

Concerned---

Rapid Rick

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's wild. I've heard similar reports from bluetooth adapters, but not Ultragauge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hopefully the computer will just think you made whatever "repair" necessary after unplugging it and adjust itself back to normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidRick View Post
    Picked up my new Mirage yesterday. Everything was perfect until I plugged in my new Ultra Guage last night. The car went crazy the minute I plugged it in. Started running very roughly, check engine light came on, etc... Seemed OK when I unplugged it.

This morning went for a ride in the new car without the guage. Seems OK. I just tried plugging the guage in again and the car went even more crazy. It wouldn't go past about 15 mph and the tranny was revving up. I pulled over and shut the car off and unplugged the damn thing and the car was perfectly fine. This scares the crap out of me. This is a brand new friggin car.

Three questions...
    1) Is is even possible I am plugging this guage wrong?
    2) could the guage be defective
    3) most importantly, did I screw up my car?

Concerned---

Rapid Rick
    1: No, it will only plug in one way
    2: Yes
    3: No, ECU returns to default settings. But to be ultra sure I would disconnect the positive battery cable for about 5 minutes. Put it back on and then the ECU will have set back to default settings for sure and it will "relearn" your driving style.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Plugging the UltraGauge into the OBD port should not affect the car's operation.

You can try using the UltraGauge on another car to see if it's good or not. If it exhibits the same results, then it is defective. Otherwise, there is a problem in the CAN bus of your new car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    You can try using the UltraGauge on another car to see if it's good or not.
    Just not my car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Just not my car.
    +1 on that!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tried it on my wife's Grand Prix. It didn't effect the way the car ran, but some of the readouts were crazy. Showed the car was only making six horsepower.

I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow anyway to have a few last things done that were supposed to have been done before I took delivery of the car. Would it be advisable to have them test the CAN bus? Should I even mention this situation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 35.4 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Another thing you can try is if you know some else who has a ultragauge/scangauge/bluetooth OBD adapter and plug it in your car to see if your car reacts the same way.

I would be fearful of telling the dealer anything about the ultragauge causing issues due them claiming the ultragauge caused damage and refusing to fix the issue (if there is one) under warranty. I would just mention the car behaved strangely, check engine light briefly came on then off, and that you need the vehicle checked out to be sure everything is OK.

If you are feeling brave you can try plugging it back in and see what code pops up, but I would be hesitant to do so in case it is the ultragauge that is defective. Don't know if it could actually cause damage but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. I also would probably go on and return/exchange the ultragauge just to be on the safe side.

FWIW my ultragauge works without issue.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Primary suspect is the UltraGauge itself.. it appears it is messing the CAN bus lines instead of only reading the parameters.

You have to establish first that the UltraGauge is OK before telling your dealer about the problem.

If the dealer has a MUT-3 and agrees .. it can be plugged into the OBD port while you test drive the car.

You can also try a bluetooth OBD adapter like the OBDLink LX Bluetooth Professional OBD-II Scan Tool. This is what I am using.