Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Once again I didnt get a Mirage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Post Once again I didnt get a Mirage

As much as I love the Mirage and Mitsubishi in general, I just traded my car for a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA (formerly the Scion iA) manual transmission. I have been researching and shopping for quite awhile.

The deal was just too good to pass up: Car listed for $16,815 at Del Toyota in Thorndale, PA.
    They had it discounted down to $14,004 after rebate. Graphite color was not my first choice but could be worse. It was a manual, that makes all the difference to me...amazing how crisply this car shifts.

Car is not fast, but it does ok. Handling is very good/almost sporty. MPG is excellent although maybe not as good as the Mirage. And the warranty is shorter than Mitsubishi.

I found it difficult to find an SE trim Mirage with a manual transmission at any dealer within 50 miles of me. Also this Yaris iA just feels right: solid, quiet, comfy over bumps, peppy enough with the manual transmission, good stereo, decent handling. I'm not a fan of the tablet like screen on the dash but time will tell if it grows on me. Also Mirage has android auto....that is a nice feature that I will miss.

I still want a Mirage...maybe next time. It is a fun small car but I am not a fan of the CVT.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IwantaMirage For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I too got a yaris ia last month for myself and wife. The mirage was great but the seats are not comfortable for me in stick. Might get an auto G4 with the tech for my wife to replace her totaled totaled iA!
    Last edited by remusrm; 03-09-2017 at 05:30 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (03-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    U should got a New Mirage
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to debburyl For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (03-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I looked at the yaris iA also but decided against it when i learned it was a mazda 2 sedan with toyota badges. Nothing wrong with mazda but I was looking for the legendary toyota reliability in a small car so i had to pass. Mazda does seem to do a good job with shift quality though which would be nice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibles View Post
    I looked at the yaris iA also but decided against it when i learned it was a mazda 2 sedan with toyota badges. Nothing wrong with mazda but I was looking for the legendary toyota reliability in a small car so i had to pass. Mazda does seem to do a good job with shift quality though which would be nice.
    Mazda actually scored higher in reliability than Toyota according to Consumers Reports latest auto results. Although both brands are excellent. Mazda makes cars that are just more fun than most other brands.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats on your new iA, Iwanta. How does the iA compare to the Mirage from an acceleration perspective? I find the Mirage does OK with planning, but if caught off guard (in the wrong gear), it can be pretty anemic. Shame Toyota didn't elect to re-badge the hatch. The original 2 hatch we had in the states was not a bad car, but it was a sales dud.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (03-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Congrats on your new iA, Iwanta. How does the iA compare to the Mirage from an acceleration perspective? I find the Mirage does OK with planning, but if caught off guard (in the wrong gear), it can be pretty anemic. Shame Toyota didn't elect to re-badge the hatch. The original 2 hatch we had in the states was not a bad car, but it was a sales dud.
    Thanks Ranny!
    So far it seems good. I looked up 0-60 times for the iA manual: Motor trend says 8.9 seconds. Car and Driver says 9 seconds. The automatic is around 10 seconds 0-60. To me it seems more than adequate. I love the crisp feeling short throw manual transmission. For $14,004 I could not resist! And there are very few manual transmission Mirages anywhere near me... I drove a few Mirages since they came out. I didnt feel that they were bad in acceleration. No car in the sub compact class is going to win any races. I am a 3 time Mitsubishi owner. Love the brand!

Congrats on the car, Iwanta.

I've read good things about the new Mazda2 - more fun to drive (power/handling), fuel economy almost on par with the Mirage. Too bad it's not offered in a hatch!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (03-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update on my iA. 1500 miles in, I am getting 41.7 mpg average in mixed driving-majority highway. Im thinking it will continue to improve now that the cold weather is behind us and the engine is somewhat broken in. My guess is going to be 42.3 mpg avg...we shall see. I have gotten used to the tablet screen and commander wheel control for radio etc. But I wish it had android auto like some of the Mitsubishis.
    So far no issues at all, car is fun and light weight/feeling sporty and acceleration feels like it has improved slightly....this car pulls well in 2nd and 3rd gear! Amazing for a 1.5 liter designed for economy. I may invest in some light weight wheels to improve handling, not sure yet. I have been reading up on the benefits of lower unsprung weight. It improves handling and acceleration slightly.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Judging by my experience with my new 17' Mirage and Mitsu's refusal to admit a problem you made the right choice. Wish I had done the same.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)