Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do if you had to pay for a replacement airbag sensor ($1200)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    He said there was moisture on it. Must've been from my big occasionally wet dog.
    Any pictures? Of either, really.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I would either do nothing at all and not stress. Just make sure the airbags are disconnected completely.

Or, my first thought is.. get a hold of Mitsubishi Customer Service. That is WAAAAAAY too soon for it to fail. If they won't have the dealer take care of that free of charge, I want to know Because I will not be test driving and buying a Mirage next week is that is the case.

We bought a Forester and I simply asked customer service if they had anything available for return customers. Presto.. $300 toward anything we want from the dealer voucher shows up in the mail.

Mitsubishi should see this as premature failure and value the customer (and their Lives) enough to just take care of that. I would expect that , in oh...? 15++ years?

I would next seek it at a wrecker. There is a TON of wrecked Mirages out there. You might even order one on line pulled out of a car, too.

You might be convincing me to KEEP my 92 GTI. I never have stuff like that to deal with since everything from windows to sunroof is Manual. After seeing the charges for dumb things.. eeek.
    Last edited by djkenny; 03-21-2017 at 04:40 PM.

djkenny: if finances are your main concern, considering how little you drive, isn't your best choice to just keep your older car (assuming it's in good condition)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    djkenny: if finances are your main concern, considering how little you drive, isn't your best choice to just keep your older car (assuming it's in good condition)?

It "might" be.

I would love to repaint (you know how much a good paint job costs... 3 grand?) and the AC is not functional. It gets 28 mpg. But in general, it is pretty nice. 173k miles is a little up there, but a new engine would likely set me back about $2500 if need be.

Anyway, that is part of the great debate. I could just fix it up.

I could fix it up really nice and get about 9 grand. But I would need to drop 4k into it. Hard Call.

The used Mirage after selling the car seems reasonable. I could try and get 5 grand for the car putting a thousand into it, then buy a 2015 Mirage for 6 grand. Get the 50 MPG and reliability?

I might be able to get new Mirage SE for $10500 plus license and fees. The SE has the cruise control I would love as well.

Tough.