Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you had to pay for a replacement airbag sensor ($1200)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It would have to be fixed in Virginia, by yearly inspection time, or it won't pass. I'd try to get one from the salvage yard. Even then, it might not be an easy plug and play swap out. I swapped seats out in my son's 2013 Ford Focus, ST. The passenger seat is registered to the car's computer, and when we swapped them, the airbag light wouldn't go out. We put the old passenger seat back in, and left the new (swapped) driver's seat in place. The airbag light went out.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I wonder if it's part of the "cushion assembly" part that Eggman has listed. There must be something else in the seat bottom piece besides foam...since it costs $719!?!

Attachment 8490

Check out this video of someone calibrating the occupancy sensor in an Outlander...

that's just the ridiculous pricing of Mitsubishi parts..
    a full set of plastic "mudguards" costs $300.00.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    One is that what's the point of having an airbag if it's so easily disabled? It seems like it should work the other way. The default setting for the airbag should be ON. A non functioning sensor shouldn't turn it off. I'd rather have an airbag stuck "ON" if there's a glitch than stuck "OFF".
    The entire SRS system is disabled when an error is found because the last thing you want is an airbag going off in your face due to a janky sensor when you hit a bump on the freeway at 70 mph. Airbags that are not properly controlled are very dangerous.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-10-2017),Madison320 (03-10-2017),wellswebdesign (03-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The entire SRS system is disabled when an error is found because the last thing you want is an airbag going off in your face due to a janky sensor when you hit a bump on the freeway at 70 mph. Airbags that are not properly controlled are very dangerous.
    That's a good point. I'm just frustrated. It seems there's no such thing as an economy car. The electronics kills you. Between the TPMS, the windows and doors, the $400 key, the $1000 airbag sensors, etc, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

^ This is true.

On the other hand, it also means because the MSRP and blue book values of three-year-old Mirages are low relative to high repair costs from crashes that deploy airbags, there will likely be a good selection of used parts from written-off cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    that's just the ridiculous pricing of Mitsubishi parts..
    a full set of plastic "mudguards" costs $300.00.
    Yep, they are cheaper on ebay. About half the cost I believe after shipping. Still not cheap but not 300 at least.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    That's a good point. I'm just frustrated. It seems there's no such thing as an economy car. The electronics kills you. Between the TPMS, the windows and doors, the $400 key, the $1000 airbag sensors, etc, etc.
    New-in-the-box parts from the dealership are always expensive. I read somewhere that if you were to build the average car just out of new parts from the dealership the price would be five times what the MSRP is. That would be a $75,000 Mirage!

That is what's so great about wrecking yards. Somebody backed into the right rear door of my Mirage about a year ago. Instead of paying my $1000 deductible, I just found another right rear door...in Infrared, even...at a nearby wrecking yard. Had it shipped up here and bolted it on. Cost was $500. Not cheap, but cheaper. Funny thing is they actually sent me the LEFT rear door by mistake, and let me keep it! Two-for One!

If I had to replace a seat sensor in my Mirage, I'd just replace the whole seat with one from a wrecked car. Four nuts, one connector, and the seat lifts out.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (03-14-2017),MetroMPG (03-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had it fixed today. The part number was 6911B890HA. $950. He said there was moisture on it. Must've been from my big occasionally wet dog. I just ordered some waterproof seat covers.

http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse....=cushion-cover

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-15-2017),Eggman (03-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Well...that's big news. How many people are careful about the stuff they place in the passenger seat? Geez...I've put my car-wash bucket full of suds there before!?!? Now we know that the occupancy sensor is part of the seat cover and it isn't waterproof!

Guess that's another item I'll add to my list of "Mirage spare parts that don't seem expensive but they are."

I tried to buy some quality neoprene waterproof seat covers, but I haven't found a source that makes them for the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Well...that's big news. How many people are careful about the stuff they place in the passenger seat? Geez...I've put my car-wash bucket full of suds there before!?!? Now we know that the occupancy sensor is part of the seat cover and it isn't waterproof!

Guess that's another item I'll add to my list of "Mirage spare parts that don't seem expensive but they are."

I tried to buy some quality neoprene waterproof seat covers, but I haven't found a source that makes them for the Mirage.
    Yeah, you wouldn't think a wet dog in your car seat could cause $1200 worth of damage. Modern cars are so damn delicate.