Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 year old Spark EV or Spark? I rarely drive and want least expensive to own

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question 2 year old Spark EV or Spark? I rarely drive and want least expensive to own

Hi folks,

I have been considering an EV for a couple of years. I do not want to lease something, I have only owned my cars in the past, all bought Used over 5 years old and kept 15+ years.

These days, and for the last 10 years I have been fine as a 1 car household with my wife and more recently my kiddo that is 3 (with another on the way). We get around when my wife is at work on a long tail bicycle, a Bakfiets Dutch box Bike, and walking to services in the hood. Seldom even need Transit/Bus/Train.

Now that there is i-MiEVs and Sparks coming off leases with 8-20k miles in near new shape, I am back to considering them. 8-9 grand seems common for the 2014 Spark, and 5-7 grand for an i-MiEV.

Another option I am considering is the 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage DE or ES (for the cruise control) with 5 speed stick. There is plenty with 10-20k miles under 7 grand also still under a good part of the warranty. 45 mpg average seems pretty good to me. I had a 3 cylinder Chevrolet Sprint Turbo from 1993-2010, loved that little car. Sold it for more than I paid used 20 years ago.

We will likely be driving 100 miles a month. Seriously. I just seldom need a car. The main reason I want it, is to take the occasional trip outside the city or big road trips to baja to see my mother in Loreto every few years.

Clearly, the big trips, the Spark would not work with the current Infra. But maybe Oregon to CA could work out? Anyone tried that in an EV? The Mitsubishi could be the baja runner. More flexible.

I am mostly interested in low cost. Again, I am looking at 3-5 thousand miles of use in a single year.

I know the Spark can just be plugged in at home. I do not care if it needs the night to recharge. The fun torque and nicer interior over the Mirage as well as the no need to replace fluids or do tune ups sounds appealing.

I "might" consider driving for Lyft as well. I am a stay at home parent mostly, and a little extra income would not hurt us.

I plan to do my usual thing, and keep the car I get a (VERY) long time. I am looking to sell my 92 VW GTI 16v in excellent shape, but it sits too much. I am also concerned with the timing belt rotting.

I might consider a new Mirage if it is possible to get a 5 speed DE for no more than $10,500 OTD or SE 5 speed under $11,800 OTD. If I bought the Spark EV with under 19k miles I would pay under 9 grand, or seek a Mirage for under $6500 from 2015 with under 20k.

Which one will end up all round costing the least to own? Little EV Spark (I would not buy the gasser one) or a Mirage?

Thanks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Go poke around on a Spark forum and I think you will have your answer. Most of the discussions there revolve around things like Lemon Laws, surly dealers, endless warranty work, etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Consider the potential repair costs involved in owning any of these vehicles over an extended period of time. A used EV that's not covered by warranty would have me concerned about possible nightmare repair costs...especially with aging batteries. If you own an EV long enough, you'll be replacing the batteries at some point. I would want to know this cost before I would consider owning an EV for the long term.

The Mirage is fairly simple for a modern car (mechanically speaking). The rear axle is a solid torsion-beam design with shock absorbers. The clutch is mechanical, not hydraulic. The engine is a naturally aspirated 3 cylinder. It uses “old school” multiport injection…not direct injection. It’s not a diesel. It doesn’t have a turbo. It has a timing chain, not a belt. These are all good things for durability and lower potential maintenance/repair costs. There's also a good supply of these cars in salvage yards if you need to find inexpensive used parts.

Based on the amount of driving you do, you could own a Mirage for the next 10 years and never do anything but fluid changes, brakes and tires.

Just one guy's $0.02...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-21-2017),inuvik (03-21-2017)

I am mostly interested in low cost.
    In that case, what about car-sharing for occasional local use and rent for the long-distance trip?

If you're seriously considering a used EV, I'm not sure the Spark is the best bet for the long term. It was a "compliance car", sold in very low numbers. Given that, will parts & service be a problem in coming years? I'd be concerned.

A used Leaf or Volt would be a better bet from the angle of future parts/service. The Volt would allow you to do your long-distance driving without having to rent another car.

It would be very hard to beat a Mirage for lowest cost of ownership. It's been recognized in multiple countries for that. See:
    Mirage / Space Star awards & accomplishments

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What kind of failures have you experienced using cars like this?

The mirage tire size is a common trailer tire size so you could always put her up for a few years lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    What kind of failures have you experienced using cars like this?

The mirage tire size is a common trailer tire size so you could always put her up for a few years lol
    Batteries failing. I learned to cure that by taking the cables off between starting it every week or 2 for 20 minutes. I NOW will drive it around every 2 weeks.

Interior is getting wet. I have had to spray white vinegar to take that scent out of the cloth.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd go for a 2012-13 Leaf first before a Spark EV, when shopping for a Rogue last fall Nissan dealer had off lease under 30,000 miles for under 10. Craiglist search found a 2012 for $9000 with 4,000 miles fully loaded.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/6051099839.html

I'd still go with a Mirage first for my next car.
    Last edited by roosterk0031; 03-21-2017 at 09:22 PM.

And with the Chevy Bolt available now, used Leaf prices should be under even more pressure.

Well, really that applies to any of the "older" used EV's with ~100 mile range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    A used Nissan Leaf can certainly be purchased for close to the cost of a used Mirage...which is amazing when you consider the $30K MSRP of these things. But as best I can tell, the replacement battery cost on a Nissan Leaf approaches the cost of a used Mirage (about $6000)...

Nissan Leaf Battery Replacement Program

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Wow. I had no idea that any 2012 Leaf is likely due for $6,000 battery change! I noticed that they seemed awfully cheap on Craigslist for a later-model high-tech car, and now I see why.

http://https://seattle.craigslist.or...053741657.html

Mirages need gas and oil. That's it. No 'range anxiety', no battery packs to replace.