Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you had to pay for a replacement airbag sensor ($1200)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

What would you do if you had to pay for a replacement airbag sensor ($1200)

My Mirage needs a new passenger airbag sensor. It's covered under warranty, just barely (59K miles). It's $1200 and the guy told me my airbags won't deploy until I get it replaced (next week). I have a couple questions:

One is that what's the point of having an airbag if it's so easily disabled? It seems like it should work the other way. The default setting for the airbag should be ON. A non functioning sensor shouldn't turn it off. I'd rather have an airbag stuck "ON" if there's a glitch than stuck "OFF".

Two, if your car was out of warranty what would you do? Pay $1200 to fix it? Leave it unfixed? Get a new car? It might be worth getting a new car than paying $1200 to fix an old car. If it was an engine replacement that would be different because now you have a new engine that will last a long time. But replacing a sensor means you still have an old engine and an old transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The sensor in the passenger seat is one part of a sophisticated airbag system. It's more than a simple binary on/off switch in modern cars. You can search the web for Occupant Classification System which describes how the passenger seat sensor is used.

There are also HUGE liability concerns whenever airbags are involved (does Takata sound familiar? ). When something doesn't look right to the airbag computer, it is going to default to NOT working, so it forces the vehicle owner to take the car in for proper component replacement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (03-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If I had to pay for one I'd pull it out of a junk yard car for WAY less than $1200.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    If I had to pay for one I'd pull it out of a junk yard car for WAY less than $1200.
    Yup. That's a really good reason to get the most common car possible. Hopefully there'll be few used parts available for Mirages by the time I need a big repair.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Now that I think about, would a repair shop put in a used one? They'd probably be worried about liability as well. I'm guessing you'd have to do it yourself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    My Mirage needs a new passenger airbag sensor. It's covered under warranty, just barely (59K miles). It's $1200 and the guy told me my airbags won't deploy until I get it replaced (next week).
    I would check their numbers.

It would be helpful if you told us about your Mirage - what year and trim level it is. I'll assume a 2015 Mirage DE.

Description Part No. Price
    Front Impact Sensor, RIGHT 8651A245 $61.27
    Side Impact Sensor, RIGHT 8651A245 $61.27
    Position Sensor 6921A028 $81.99
    Cushion Assembly 6911b191HC $719.69
    Seat Back Assembly 6901B739HC $1,268.91

My initial idea of a passenger airbag sensor would be the occupancy classification sensor. The service manual describes this sensor: "The occupant classification sensor is installed underneath a rail of the passenger seat to detect the load on the seat."

I don't see that this item is available separate from the assembly, and I don't suppose it is the Position Sensor #6921A028. It may have to be purchased along with the seat cushion.

Other passenger side airbag sensors include the impact sensors for front & side. Those are not too expensive either.

If your technician is referring to the airbag itself, then the quoted cost does appear to be in line with the cost of replacing the seat back assembly. However, you did not mention replacing the passenger seat airbag - so this is confusing...

Section 52B of the service manual describes the Supplemental Restraint System, including diagnostic codes. If you have a code scanner available, it might be helpful to know what code is being set in order to better understand what is going on. The service manual also describes an occupancy classification sensor ECU located under the passenger seat. Top Fuel is on to something here.

It seems that there is some information missing. I would ask for more details on exactly what code your technician found and what component it is related to.

Regarding used parts, consider asking your insurer for advice. It sounds like a good alternative, but don't underestimate the influence of liability concerns.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-10-2017),Top_Fuel (03-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I would check their numbers.

It would be helpful if you told us about your Mirage - what year and trim level it is. I'll assume a 2015 Mirage DE.

Description Part No. Price
    Front Impact Sensor, RIGHT 8651A245 $61.27
    Side Impact Sensor, RIGHT 8651A245 $61.27
    Position Sensor 6921A028 $81.99
    Cushion Assembly 6911b191HC $719.69
    Seat Back Assembly 6901B739HC $1,268.91

My initial idea of a passenger airbag sensor would be the occupancy classification sensor. The service manual describes this sensor: "The occupant classification sensor is installed underneath a rail of the passenger seat to detect the load on the seat."

I don't see that this item is available separate from the assembly, and I don't suppose it is the Position Sensor #6921A028. It may have to be purchased along with the seat cushion.

Other passenger side airbag sensors include the impact sensors for front & side. Those are not too expensive either.

If your technician is referring to the airbag itself, then the quoted cost does appear to be in line with the cost of replacing the seat back assembly. However, you did not mention replacing the passenger seat airbag - so this is confusing...

Section 52B of the service manual describes the Supplemental Restraint System, including diagnostic codes. If you have a code scanner available, it might be helpful to know what code is being set in order to better understand what is going on. The service manual also describes an occupancy classification sensor ECU located under the passenger seat. Top Fuel is on to something here.

It seems that there is some information missing. I would ask for more details on exactly what code your technician found and what component it is related to.

Regarding used parts, consider asking your insurer for advice. It sounds like a good alternative, but don't underestimate the influence of liability concerns.
    I may be jumping the gun. I haven't had the repair done yet. The guy I talked to at Mitsubishi was just making a guess. I thought they told me earlier something like the lower unit needs to be replaced. I assumed it was the bottom "chair" part of the seat. You would think if the sensor was bad, just replace the sensor. Anyway I'll find out on Tuesday. I'll post what I find.

I wonder if the fact that it's under warranty would cause them to replace the whole assembly since they know they get reimbursed? Maybe if I had to pay they'd replace just the sensor?
    Last edited by Madison320; 03-09-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Repair it for less than that. If I couldn't, I'm cheap and insane, so I'd drive it without airbags. They aren't necessary to pass safety here. And you don't have to pass safety unless you transfer ownership outside of immediate family here, as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    You would think if the sensor was bad, just replace the sensor.
    Is there anything interfering with this sensor, such as a french fry?

And would you make a garage entry?
    Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I wonder if it's part of the "cushion assembly" part that Eggman has listed. There must be something else in the seat bottom piece besides foam...since it costs $719!?!

Name:  cushion.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  67.7 KB

Check out this video of someone calibrating the occupancy sensor in an Outlander...

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-10-2017 at 12:21 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)