Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Push button start on DE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    UK
    Thanks

Push button start on DE

Has anyone ever had a dealer install the push button start in their mirage de? I'm assuming it's not something we can do ourselves. Trying to steer away from the aftermarket parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Not only has nobody done it, I'd be surprised if it CAN be done. If so, it would be very expensive.

You'd likely need a new ETACS (electrical control unit), you would have to find a way to install the unlock pushbuttons on the driver's door and tailgate, etc. You'd need the key fobs, which are about $400 each. There is more to it than just the ignition button itself...it's a whole system.

Would be tough to do. My '15 ES has it, and it spoils you once you get used to it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Don't forget the steering lock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Hmmm. Maybe aftermarket is the way to go then. A quick google says it can be done for less than $300 if I can disable the steering wheel lock.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A quick google says it can be done for less than $300 if I can disable the steering wheel lock.
    That would be pretty cool if you can make it work.

Any links?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That would be pretty cool if you can make it work.

Any links?
    This one is $350 but also comes with the auto unlock as you approach the car which is pretty cool: http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

I figure I could probably make a copy of the key and break it in the ignition but with it out enough that I can remove it with tweezers if needed and then disconnect all the wires from the ignition. The button will be able to handle acc and everything. I'm sure I can get a plastic cover for the original ignition too so that you cant see the key in there just in case of thieves.

This one is $350 but also comes with the auto unlock as you approach the car which is pretty cool: http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

I figure I could probably make a copy of the key and break it in the ignition but with it out enough that I can remove it with tweezers if needed and then disconnect all the wires from the ignition. The button will be able to handle acc and everything. I'm sure I can get a plastic cover for the original ignition too so that you cant see the key in there just in case of thieves.
    Do the mirage's have chipped keys? I would hope so cause otherwise they'd be stupid easy to steal if the column doesn't lock the wheel. I've never actually heard of that set up you posted the link for. I wonder what they expect you to do about the steering column locking or do they even lock? Obviously breaking off the key is not a good idea, removing the tumbler might work. (I should have been made it obvious I was not serious about breaking off your key.) But other than it shouldn't need to be hacked in anymore than a remote start would be as far as wiring goes. By looking at the forum on their website, I would run away. Looks like more problems than anything.
    But if It were me I'd do what cobrajet suggested and just buy a car that came with it from factory.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    All passenger vehicles sold in Canada after 2007 have chipped keys ie: engine immobilizers (it's a requirement of CMVSS, and cars imported from the states without this functionality must have it added if they are 2007 or newer). 2007 is a 50/50 year. The legislation passed around the middle of the year so some 2007 models don't have it.

Wheel locks are a joke anyways. Just look for cars with the club. The owner included a free steering lock breaking tool for you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-14-2017),mohammad (12-31-2021)

Hmmm. Maybe aftermarket is the way to go then. A quick google says it can be done for less than $300 if I can disable the steering wheel lock.
    Sure it can be done for under $300, break off the key in the ignition in the run position and run toggle switches for your ign/acc then a push button for the starter. Might be kinda easy to steal though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Scooter (03-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Hmmmm. Breaking off keys, hacking into the wiring...if it were me, I would just sell the DE and get an ES if I wanted pushbutton start that badly.

Not sure if you have any warranty left on this car, but you won't if you get too crazy with things like this.