Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Push button start on DE

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dealer has the proof of burden to prove your modification caused a failure to deny your claim. - i wouldn't really be concerned over warranty when deciding to swap it in but..

The pushbutton start seems to be responsible for nearly half of the no start conditions.... Why would you want that? I'm glad mine has a regular key.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    This one is $350 but also comes with the auto unlock as you approach the car which is pretty cool: http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html

I figure I could probably make a copy of the key and break it in the ignition but with it out enough that I can remove it with tweezers if needed and then disconnect all the wires from the ignition. The button will be able to handle acc and everything. I'm sure I can get a plastic cover for the original ignition too so that you cant see the key in there just in case of thieves.
    Do the mirage's have chipped keys? I would hope so cause otherwise they'd be stupid easy to steal if the column doesn't lock the wheel. I've never actually heard of that set up you posted the link for. I wonder what they expect you to do about the steering column locking or do they even lock? Obviously breaking off the key is not a good idea, removing the tumbler might work. (I should have been made it obvious I was not serious about breaking off your key.) But other than it shouldn't need to be hacked in anymore than a remote start would be as far as wiring goes. By looking at the forum on their website, I would run away. Looks like more problems than anything.
    But if It were me I'd do what cobrajet suggested and just buy a car that came with it from factory.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Yeah definitely seems like more hassle than it's worth.
    I guess what I was hoping was that it would be a similar situation to the foglights where the wiring is already there in the DE. I definitely am not desperate enough for a push button to buy a whole new car though!
    Not sure where I'm at in terms of warranty because of my lights but pushing a button instead of turning a key doesn't seem worth it after all.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    All passenger vehicles sold in Canada after 2007 have chipped keys ie: engine immobilizers (it's a requirement of CMVSS, and cars imported from the states without this functionality must have it added if they are 2007 or newer). 2007 is a 50/50 year. The legislation passed around the middle of the year so some 2007 models don't have it.

Wheel locks are a joke anyways. Just look for cars with the club. The owner included a free steering lock breaking tool for you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shepd For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-14-2017),mohammad (12-31-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you really wanted push button start aftermarket, you will want a key head (broken off key) and a holder for it (you'd have to figure that out for yourself). You would then move the immobilization sensor to where you want to put your key head, and "hotwire" the ignition to a button. And, of course, disable the wheel lock.

So long as the car has an immobilizer system, it should still be a pain in the ass to steal, assuming you take the key head with you each time. I personally would not bother. Just more crap that will break and you are reducing the security of the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by shepd View Post
    All passenger vehicles sold in Canada after 2007 have chipped keys ie: engine immobilizers (it's a requirement of CMVSS, and cars imported from the states without this functionality must have it added if they are 2007 or newer). 2007 is a 50/50 year. The legislation passed around the middle of the year so some 2007 models don't have it.

Wheel locks are a joke anyways. Just look for cars with the club. The owner included a free steering lock breaking tool for you!
    I didn't know everything had to be chipped after 07. I guess that explains why everyone in Alberta mostly steals 07 and older super duty fords.
    I've seen a few older vehicles with chip keys and aftermarket remote starts have a spare key hidden in a bypass box behind the dash. I'm really not a fan of that setup. We have a mirage at work that the dealer had installed an aftermarket starter in, I'm curious to see how they bypassed the factory immobilizer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    From what I've read the only two ways to bypass modern immobilizers are either to have a legitimate key in a bypass box (preferrably just the key head) or a more complicated setup where the bypass box itself is intelligent enough to actually pair itself to the car as a key. Still the same sort of idea, in the end.

I used to be a fan of remote starters, but then I got a manual car.

If you ever want to fall asleep, here's the text on CMVSS and engine immobilizers (see 114):

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulat...-crc-c1038.htm

As for how effective those systems are... well... let's put it this way. Some manufacturers are pretty literal with the interpretation. It says in there minimum 5 minutes to get past the software. On a Ford, with a Ford tool (or a cheap pirate one from eBay) that means you can pair a new key after pressing the magic software button and waiting 10 minutes. LOL.
    Last edited by shepd; 03-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Hmmmm. Breaking off keys, hacking into the wiring...if it were me, I would just sell the DE and get an ES if I wanted pushbutton start that badly.

Not sure if you have any warranty left on this car, but you won't if you get too crazy with things like this.
    Sounds like wise advice to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If push start is really wanted, you should have gotten a SE or ES (2014/2015) unit. It will end up costing $3000-4000 just to retro fit and it won't be original. There is a lot of programming and computer along with switches and harness that need to be put in. Not worth it. Better to get the SE or ES(14/15) in the first place which is about $1000 more if this is a deal breaker.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ive never expirenced my steering wheel actually lock and dougs YouTube review also says it does not lock? Has anyone ever actually confirmed the steering wheel locks on the poverty edition?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-22-2021)