Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Could I hook up to the Cigarette Lighter Socket?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

How Much Could I hook up to the Cigarette Lighter Socket?

Hello!

I was thinking of maybe adding some LED lights and a dashcam to my car using the cigarette lighter, but I already use a phone charger from there.

I understand the socket handles 15 amps, but would it be okay to run all that kit from that one socket?

If anyone has some suggestions or advice, let me know. Thanks!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    side note:

Is the USB socket powered? Does anyone use that to run anything?

I remember trying and concluding it wasn't enough for my phone

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Hello!

I was thinking of maybe adding some LED lights and a dashcam to my car using the cigarette lighter, but I already use a phone charger from there.

I understand the socket handles 15 amps, but would it be okay to run all that kit from that one socket?

Your electrical load can be added up to see if it will exceed the circuit's capacity. What devices did you have in mind and what is their current draw? Any links?

side note:

The USB specification calls for power at the port. I recall my phone started charging when I plugged it in.

I recall another forum member added a USB port to one of the unused switch locations on the center console.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hello!

Your electrical load can be added up to see if it will exceed the circuit's capacity. What devices did you have in mind and what is their current draw? Any links?

side note:

The USB specification calls for power at the port. I recall my phone started charging when I plugged it in.

I recall another forum member added a USB port to one of the unused switch locations on the center console.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I added a separate socket for my dashcam and GPS just so I can keep the original lighter plug for a phone charger and a spotlight charger. That way it is not an issue.

It's pretty easy to do, and there is a thread about it here someplace.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The USB port in the glove compartment powers my dash cam. It allowed for a clean install of the power cable as well. Ran it under the headliner, under the a pillar trim and then into the glove box.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Machiblue View Post
    The USB port in the glove compartment powers my dash cam. It allowed for a clean install of the power cable as well. Ran it under the headliner, under the a pillar trim and then into the glove box.
    That's actually surprising. I tried again, and it really wasn't able to charge my phone. I guess modern phones are quite power hungry though.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

It's much less work to use a splitter, at least it seems to me. All of the equipment would be from ebay, sent from china. There are a number of 3 way 120 watt cigarette lighter splitters there from around 4.50 CAD to 8 CAD, and that should handle 10 amps at least. Anything more than 120 watt and the prices sky rocket. Finding one that is cheap and good is a challenge, I've ended up cross referencing the pictures with companies who rebranded the same devices and sold them on amazon and the reviews are often poor, citing sockets that won't hold the plugs in place. Found a very well liked one for 7.89, but still looking for a cheaper one so I can order a few.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Way-12V-24V...3D252699700913

As for the lights and dashcam, I honestly don't know. You can buy cheap LED lighting from ebay as well for under 10 so that's probably what I'd go for.

Dashcam's you can fund for under 30 CAD on amazon and some liquidation stores here, they just often seem to be of questionable quality. Anyone have a suggestion on a good cheap one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just ordered a crappy $4, 3 way socket spliter on ebay. Using it to run my new Vantrue n2 pro 1440p dashcam and a USB fastcharger. I think Vantrue is a must if you want to do uber but even for a normal person it covers your biscuits... yes it's not $30 but you can't go too cheap on some things.

Driving home from work yesterday I almost got into a crash when a guy pulled out into the high speed lane right in front of me I had to slam on the breaks and swerve towards the median to avoid a crash. I got the whole thing on camera. If that was a crash it 5000% paid for itself right there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry at all. My 500 LED xmas tree (LED) draws less than .1A @120v which is 1A@12v. The dashcams I've seen all require 5-6 watts @12v, so in effect, nothing. Now if you want to run portable peltier based coolers, those are demanding. Mine draws 12A and heats the Mirage socket when I use it.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)