Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVDs on Display Audio System

Country
    United States
    Thanks

DVDs on Display Audio System

I am somewhat technology challenged when it comes to some of the car entertainment systems. My last two cars were 1990 and 2000 so they didn't have all this new stuff like Bluetooth, navigation, etc. So pardon the perhaps dumb question.

My G4 SE has display audio system. When I read the booklet it showed it could play DVDs and also display JPEG photos on the screen. Then I find that the DVD picture is blocked (sound remains) while the car is in motion and the JPEG photos will not display until car is stopped.

I certainly understand the safety implications, that is not the question. Am I missing something or are these two features totally useless? How would you use them?

Or should I just not worry about it!

Thanks. DC

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuko For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (03-15-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    These features are for use when the car is parked. When else exactly do you think you should be watching a movie or scrolling through yer party pics from last night?
    I wouldn't worry 'bout it though, texting should keep you distracted enough for now.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    These features are for use when the car is parked. When else exactly do you think you should be watching a movie or scrolling through yer party pics from last night?
    I wouldn't worry 'bout it though, texting should keep you distracted enough for now.
    You don't have to be sarcastic, I was not planning on using them when driving, just think it is a strange feature that I will never use. I do not text while driving, at least 30 years of accident free driving will tell you that.

Sorry I asked.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Alright everyone, let's keep the "snark" levels low.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post
    You don't have to be sarcastic, I was not planning on using them when driving, just think it is a strange feature that I will never use. I do not text while driving, at least 30 years of accident free driving will tell you that.

Sorry I asked.
    I love having the ability to watch DVDs in the stereo. Even being a small screen has made long trips for passengers better. I'm going to try to disable it like I did on my last car.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko View Post

Sorry I asked.
    Even if the comment wasn't directed at you, Mitsuko, I think IchabodCrane brings up a good point. I am alarmed at the number of distracted drivers out there. I used to ride my bike to work but have concerns over distracted drivers - *especially* mobile phone usage.

I'm glad you brought up the DVD feature, as I hadn't considered the implications of a manufacturer including yet another distraction to driving. You are right - why include the feature? I'm glad Mitsubishi has blocked it while the car is in motion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    On some cars, pulling the handbrake up is what enables the features on the stereo. See if that's the case for yours. One click might do it, though one click might be enough to wear your rear brakes. I'll won't judge you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I have an aftermarket Kenwood unit that displays images and plays DVDs. Like many aftermarket manufacturers, it uses a simple mechanism to disable the display when the car is in motion. It requires the parking brake to be on to enable the DVD display. In reality, the parking brake is just creating a ground for the "disable" feature. If you just ground that "disable" wire when installing the head unit, the DVD display will work all the time. Some manufacturers are starting to make more sophisticated mechanisms that aren't as easily defeated. But someone always develops a relay or something to defeat it.

My guess is that the factory head unit is more integrated into the car's CAN bus network and can't be disabled this easily. It probably requires a software hack of some sort.

Don't bust my chops about distracted driving...I'm just posting this for informational purposes. I've never even tried the DVD feature on my head unit. Here's a video that describes the process in most aftermarket head units...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is possible, they make some bypass that let you watch video in motion.

Search Video in Motion on google

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Don't bust my chops about distracted driving...
    Said the guy smokin' the fastback lol.

Actually I'm jealous. Now I want a DVD player and a fastback.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)