Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulstar Pulse Plugs

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I want to try this Pulstar but I dislike the nickel material. I ended up ordering the Brisk Evo+ instead as my stock spare. Just hoping this will be delivered soonest as I am using freight forwarding services for the purchase.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After just over 10k miles, the plugs failed. It started misfiring badly when I left work, with the CEL flashing for #1 cylinder misfire. Turns out, the ceramic insulator tips were broken on two of the three plugs, and one was bad enough to start misfiring. Had to have my roommates come out with my tools and OEM plugs so I could swap them to get home.

Emailed Pulstar, and the founder replied VERY quickly, so we'll see what they do. I might go ahead and mail them back to them for further examination.

The gaps had grown dramatically within the 10k mile period, all the way out to 0.050 on the undamaged plug. I'm actually shocked because they use a material they claim is super hard and lasts a long time. The center electrodes wore faster on the edge closest to the ground electrode.

Name:  photo_2017-11-28_09-01-46.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  91.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-30-2017),daleWV (11-28-2017),Daox (11-28-2017),Eggman (11-28-2017),Fummins (11-28-2017),MightyMirageMpg (11-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the follow up!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I had doubts on the Inconel material which the electrode is made of. Is it better than Platinum?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would never use those. NGK/Denso for me in any "foreign " "Asian" car I've ever owned.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Our cars have three ignition coils, and each is directly connected to its own spark plug, lacking all the losses from long cables with electrical resistance, distributor, etc. Since each cylinder has its own coil, each coil has the time of two engine revolutions before firing once.
    An old fashioned V6 with six cylinders and one ignition coil plus high resistance cables and distributor used to have only one-sixth of the time before the coil had to fire again. The resulting spark was much weaker because the coil had to fire six times more often per engine revolution than in our cars, and each spark was additionally weakened from high distribution losses.
    The coils of our cars have more than enough time to gather enough magnetic flux for creating a strong enough spark. Remember, time is the critical factor for magnetic flux development in any coil! Furthermore, the coils in our cars have ferrite cores, electrically much better than old fashioned iron core ignition coils 1930 style. This results in a much higher voltage than a "conventional" ignition system, and on top of that, results in much more energy for each spark.

Combine that with iridium plugs, those plugs with a thin centre electrode, and you get the best, most reliable and longest-lasting plugs together with the best style ignition system on the market that also has the strongest possible spark!

What could make anybody seriously think that plugs built for a 1960 style oil-burning, low compression, lambda-inconsistant carburated engine would bring about any improvement in our endlessly more technologically advanced cars?

Last edited by foama; 10-15-2020 at 08:31 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

daleWV (10-15-2020)