Thread: Dripping Oil Drain Plug Fixed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

Dripping Oil Drain Plug Fixed

The last time I went to change my oil, I noticed a small drip of oil coming from the drain plug. I didn't think much about it. I just changed the oil and forgot about it. I never saw a spot of oil under the car, and I never have to add oil between the 5,000 mile oil change interval I'm currently following.

Yesterday I changed my oil and noticed that the slight drip of oil was there on the plug again. After draining the oil and looking at the factory drain plug, I found that the washer on the OEM drain plug is really thin. Probably too thin to do anything meaningful. So I headed up to AutoZone and picked up a $4 assortment of M14 drain plug washers. While I was there, I saw that that they had a magnetic drain plug that fit the Mirage, so I went ahead and picked one up for $5.

So here's a look at the new and original drain plugs...

Name:  Plug1.jpg
Views: 3317
Size:  94.2 KB

The assortment of washers had just about anything you would want to try: copper, nylon, steel, and steel with rubber. I decided on the steel with rubber washer (pictured below)...

Name:  Plug2.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  89.2 KB

Everything went together easily...and after 24 hours, no drip on the new plug.

The size of the drain plug is M14-1.50.
    The size of the washer is M14.

Here are the AutoZone part numbers:

Needa Parts M14-1.50 Magnetic Drain Plug...Part # 652166

M14 Drain Plug Gasket Assortment...Part #653336

Note: I didn't like the gasket that came with the magnetic drain plug, so I used a washer from the gasket assortment.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 07-14-2020 at 05:10 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (03-20-2017),anog (05-24-2017),Avgjohndoe (07-14-2020),Cobrajet (03-20-2017)