Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't do what I did when reinstalling the paper filter cover by the CVT oil cooler

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Don't do what I did when reinstalling the paper filter cover by the CVT oil cooler

The cover for the paper filter attached by the CVT oil cooler has a thin o-ring that I accidently cut when re-installing the cover for the first time on my daughter's 2015 DE while doing a fluid and filter change. I made quite a mess as about 2 qts of CVT fluid spewed out of the cover when I started the car and proceeded to shift through P-R-N-D-B at five second intervals per the (Nissan) service manual. I really should've started the car and immediately checked for a leak but I've never had a engine oil filter leak on me - I still do check each time though.

I chose to try re-installing the cover for the paper filter blindly instead removing the splash shield in the driver's side front wheelhouse to be able to clearly see what I was doing. I still can't understand how I cut the o-ring but somehow I did.

I ended up going to Autozone, which had an assortment pack of o-rings for distributors. The pack had an o-ring slightly thicker than the OEM o-ring. It was difficult to get the cover to fit with the new thicker o-ring but it did finally fit. I installed the cover blindly again as I was running out of daylight and wanted to give the car back to my daughter. I was a bit more careful to keep the cover centered over the paper filter this time and as of today there are no leaks after 75 miles of combined city and highway driving.

The next time I replace the paper filter I will probably just do the extra work and remove the front wheel and the splash shield so I will be able to see what I'm doing. I'm also going to have a spare o-ring in case I tear another one. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Last edited by thx1138guy; 09-22-2020 at 09:51 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thx1138guy For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-21-2020)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

thx1138guy (09-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I don't feel as bad at making this mistake now. A poor design to say the least.

It's easy to see the 10 mm bolt but you can't see the housing with the splash shield in the way. I had the Mirage on ramps on the front wheels and raised the rear wheels with a floor jack.

Yeah, you kinda gotta see with your fingers if you don't pull the inner fender.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bummer. Check out my issue with the same oring.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...490#post115490

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

thx1138guy (09-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now I'm hoping that the slightly thicker o-ring is not going to fail. I will need to check the car for leaks for a while until some of the CVT fluid dries around the o-ring.

The filter cover was stuck to the housing and required a lot of back and forth twisting by hand to get it to break free when I was removing it. I could have used some sort of tool to dislodge it but I watched a youtube video from some guy in Australia who did it by hand and I duplicated what he did.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    IIRC someone had found a part# for a replacement seal at some point but I'm being lazy and haven't dug around to try and find it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-22-2020)

I found another cartridge filter. Raybestos powertrain lists one for the spark and nissan cvt7. No listing for the Mirage but I'd bet a Canadian Peso it's the same one Attachment 19285
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ra...83,filter,8600
    https://www.showmetheparts.com/raybestospowertrain/

Cartridge filter part number is 515783
    Metal screen filter in pan is a 515784 I don't know if this one is the same? I recall the spark and Mirage had different oil pans? IIRC the spark had one less bolt.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-22-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Aamco charges $300 for full cvt oem fluid change and both filter changes. Its pricey but worth it every 2 to 3 years IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Aamco charges $300 for full cvt oem fluid change and both filter changes. Its pricey but worth it every 2 to 3 years IMO.
    I hear ya. It makes sense sometimes to just let the professionals handle it.

Nevertheless, I enjoy the challenge of fixing what I've f***ed up. I haven't had to get anyone's help in over 30 years.

At my age, the days of auto repairs are numbered. Some day, I won't be physically able to crawl underneath my cars.

But until then, I will continue my DIY maintenance and repairs for better and worse.